Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help requesting 6 monitors at work for a division 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdbbound

MIS
Jan 16, 2004
US
Hi,

I was asked to help evaluate a request from one of the Sections/Group in our Division. The request is about getting 6 new monitors. Like all of a sudden, their monitors are flickering so bad.

Anyway, the problem is that the Director does not really want to buy for obvious reasons and wants to replace the monitors with old ones as well. However, he also wants to help this group of people who had voice out their concern. He wants me to write an excellent recommendation so we can get upper management to approve this request

I really want to write a compeling request so that there is a chance I can get those monitors for them. Can someone please help me, at least give me an idea on valid reasons on why we should get the monitors.

Thanks

I was able to replace five CRT's with 17" LCD's at my company even though we had CRT's to spare. I sold it to them by pointing out that it saves on desk space, looks better, and is much easier on the eyes. I also found a great deal which made them much more comparable to CRT's. I was very surprised to get this approved as the person in charge is big with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, he's also big on how things look and does occasionally want to make the employees happy.

As for what to write, you can give the reasons I gave above. Though it'll be a tough case if you have spare monitors, even if they are old. But go ahead and try, just make sure you tell them exactly how much it'll cost. Good luck!

...'Drop' the old monitors on the way to replacing the faulty one, necessitating purchase of new one...

[wink]

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips...therefore whatever it was that went wrong, I'm to blame...

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393 & sign up if you'd like

I would follow Philote's lead on this. Look at writing a recommendation for LCD vs CRT's. In addition to space conservation, ease of use on the eyes, there is a financial return on them as well.

LCD's take a great deal less electricity to run vs a CRT. When I was looking into purchasing them here, one of the big angles I was able to play on was the fact that you save approximately 40 (US) dollars a year in electricity bills.

So, even if the LCD is more expensive than the CRT, you can do a cost analysis that by end of life, you'll have paid less for the LCD than you would have for the CRT.

Here are some other arguments for LCD's.

What is your vision worth to you? A CRT gives off ultra-violet radiation. A LCD does not. With a CRT, you are basically sunburning your eyes.

The LCD will probably also improve morale. The light from a CRT also increases the user's stress level.

Mention that it is possible to get a write-off if you give the old monitors to a 501c3 non-profit. The charity will also come and get them. I know this because I worked for a non-profit myself. Usually these write-offs are more than the actual value of the used equipment. Plus, it makes you appear to have a social conscience.

In fact, we actually had a Sony LCD donated to us!

AQUIAS--How did you come up with that $40 per year figure?

It was first quoted to me by one of the guys I've dealt with at CDW (at first), which made me go do some digging around online to see if I can find actual tests to backup his claim. I'm the untrusting sort to what salesmen tell me, so I did some research and found sites quoting similiar numbers.

Lastly Langley brings up a good point, even if the monitors don't work well enough to donate, there are groups (at least around here) who buy old equipment and resell it. Even if the equipment is on the fritz, they'll take it off of your hands.

This site just lists it as a 21 dollar a year savings but, several like this exist, so I (generally) utilize the number first quoted to me. It's a variable you can play with to make suit your needs to gain approval.

sunburn! That's what's wrong with my eyes!

Thanks!
Barb E.

While getting quotes why not just ask the sales people directly if they have any suggestion on how to convince the boss to go along with the purchase. This is what they do, they are in the business of persuading people that they need their product.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back