Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I Need Help Now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpigskin

Technical User
Mar 15, 2003
US
I am trying to install Groupwise 5.5 on a clean Windows XP Pro desktop. The windows messaging system has been already installed. Everytime I try to access the Client32 setup file, I get a pointer and a hour glass for about a second and then it just goes away, nothing happens. I have try both browsing the setup file and using the run command. What am I doing wrong? Any help will be appreciated.

Disable Anti-virus? If the install is local try creating a shortcut the the exe and run it in compatability mode.

thanks for the help but the install isnt local its off of the mail server

I have a customers PC that has lost access to her Contacts list twice.

The problem on that PC (Win 98) was that another installation had installed a newer or different version of Windows messaging. Here is what I did to fix it. . .

Uninstall the Novell Client. (Unc32.exe)

Unininstall Windows messaging.

Re-install the Novell Client. It will notice that Messaging is missing, and installs the version that it likes, from the CD, I presume.

After that, they can see all functions in Groupwise again.

This works on Win 98. WinXP is a newer client, (Ver 4.83?) and I don't know if it will help. I do know that Groupwise 5.5 is very choosy about which version of Windows Messaging is installed.

Good luck
Paul Ray

Programming Languages -- .BAT Files

Preffered editor -- EDLIN

I have tried the compatibility mode with the short cut, it doesnt work because its not a local file. Groupwise setup is located on the Mail Server.

I also have uninstalled both the Windows Messenger and used the Groupwise Cleaning agent to start from scratch with this install, doing both things led to the same issue, I still cant get the setup file to respond.

Any other suggestions?

Would reinstalling XP have any effect on this?

Thanks I will give that a try, I am assuming that if I uninstall everything, then install in the order you suggest it will be the same.

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to handle this issue, not matter that none of them helped solve the problem. In the end I had to FDisk and format the drive once again. Then I reinstalled Windows XP Professional.
Thanks again for all that tried to advise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back