Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need an XP & SCSI expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiwatt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
US
I have upgraded an Me machine to XP. The boot drive is a 20Gb IDE HDD. There are 3 SCSI drives for storage and work drives (it's a recording studio). I unplugged the SCSI cable from the SCSI card (AHA-2940AU) before scrubbing and doing a clean install of XP. Once that was done, I plugged the 3 SCSI drives back into card. Here's the rub...most, but NOT all, files were 'missing' from all 3 drives. The drive's properties report almost all free space on each.
Anybody have any insight to this melee?

You did shut down the computer before disconnecting the SCSI cable, right?
Did you check that the files are actually missing, or are you assuming this because of the free space report?

Also, consider reformatting and doing a clean install of XP if you did just an XP upgrade. It requires more time and effort, but XP will run better.

Yes, I shutdown before plugging cable in. Yes, I scrubbed the HDD...not an upgrade. Yes, I checked to see if I could find the files. Any other ideas?

Run ScanDisk (or whatever the equivalent is in XP) on the drives. Files can't just go "missing". Scandisk should report any lost clusters.

The fact that all 3 drives are reporting problems points to a power surge (unlikely), defective cable, bad connection or a defective SCSI card. Try unseating the card and reconnecting all the drives. Maybe there is a broken pin on one of the connectors? (I'd guess that a broken pin would cause a more catastrophic failure though)

If you're convinced the files truly have gone missing, download a utility to search for deleted files. If the files are there, there are programs that will recover them. Just DON'T WRITE ANYTHING to these drives until you attempt a recovery.

I've done the other but will try the undelete and scandisk.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back