Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need an ODBC connection string 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbowler9

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2003
US
Hello all.

I have a program that run's queries in Access on tables that are linked to an Informix database via ODBC. If I close the Access database then re-open and run the program I get a screen that shows the server name, database name, and asks for the userID and Password of the informix database.

I would like to place a connection string in my On_Click event to eliminate this pop-up, or somehow tell access to always keep this connection open if it is open.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Have you checked the linked table manager to see if it is set to always ask for a new location of the data?

Do any other pieces of software access this data from your machine?

Either of these may cause the message you describe

The "always ask for new location" box isn't checked. I thought that was the problem originally too.
There isn't any other access from this machine either.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

you can create an odbc by putting an ado.. control on a form, using the properties dialog to build a connection to your data. you can do this on a startup form or copy the connection string you create and use it in code.
either way should work for you.

The problem is that when you linked the tables you didn't check the box that said 'Save Password' - it's very easily missed. The check box appears on the dialog that lists all the tables in the ODBC source on the right at the bottom of the table list.

You should delete all your table links and recreate them making sure that this box is checked.

It's a real nuisance that the Linked Table addin doesn't allow you to modify this.

Hope this helps

bboffin,

Thanks. I ended up creating an entirely new DSN linking the tables to that and it worked. This has the same effect as what you were offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back