Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a way to restrict Internet Bandwidth usage for some users

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskennicutt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2002
US
I don't know that this is necessarily a Windows 2000 server issue, but that is the platform we are running on. I have these 2 guys that are both execs in the company and they are always streaming high quality video and audio (all day long) and it is killing the bandwidth for everyone else. Since they are even over my immediate boss I can't make them stop (and according to my boss I shouldn't even ask them to stop... but he asked me if I could restrict their bandwidth behind the scenes... somehow lower their download rate).

Any ideas? They are driving me nuts!!!

mskennicutt

What kind of firewall are you running? Some will allow bandwidth limit on certain type of traffic.

Mike

We have a Cisco 2600... but I don't know how to program it. The thing is, what we really need is a way to limit bandwidth on certain machines (either by user or IP address). We have several users who may have legitimate reasons to download certain types of traffic so I don't want to impose a corporate wide restriction on any certain type of traffic. I will look into the "packet-shaper" suggestion though. Thanks for both of your input!

Cisco 2600 series are routers, hopefully you will also have a proprietary firewall which should allow you to restrict traffic by type \ port to specific IP addresses.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

That series of routers does provide what it calls "bandwidth management", so you should be able to do this. Unfortunately I have no experience with cisco routers so you may want to ask this question in the cisco router section

good luck

GET ISA server installed...there are a lot of neat things you can do with it...limit bandwidth to certian users or groups..or even monitor and internet connectivety and chk to see what web sites the users are going to..also its a firewall and cache server so it saves a lot of bandwidth

Thanks, PAUL

Surf Control web filter software allow bandwidth throttling on a per user basis.

winoto u can set bandwith quotas to certian users or groups or set the time of internet usage

Thanks, PAUL

The key thing here is to read the Cisco 2600 manual. You can set a bandwith quota by IP address or a specific range of IPs. You have the tool you need in your hand. The answers are in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back