Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a tiny program written 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accessdabbler

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
CA
I'm using a Toshiba Satellite M40 laptop computer. For some reason, whenever I reboot it, the keyboard repeat rate drops to its default value. I like the repeat rate at the highest setting.

The BIOS has very basic options and the keyboard rate is NOT one of them.

So....

I want a tiny utility that will set the keyboard rate to its highest setting every time the system boots. I suppose this could be put in the Startup folder?

Please let me know how to write a small utility like this.

Thanks!

Accessdabbler,

I've just created this for ya:

I've tested it on my home PC running WinXP Home and it seems to work fine. Please ensure you create a backup of your registry before you try this, just in case.

The program runs silently and then ends itself. Try setting your keyboard repeat speed to minimum and then running it as a test. If it works you should just be able to set it to run on startup each time.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Auger282 - I went to the link but my OS (WinXP) doesn't have an entry called Keyboard in the ControlPanel at the registry setting specified.

Ed2020 - I downloaded and ran your utility but it didnt seem to do anything...? I opened the Keyboard settings in Control panel, set the speed to the slowest setting, closed it, then ran your program. When I re-open Keyboard in Control panel, speed repeat rate is unchanged (slowest setting). Maybe I need to reboot after running it?

Hmmm... strange. It works on my PC.

Also strange that your XP machine doesn't have the specified registry key but mine does....

I'll have to have a think about that.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

@Accessdabler - the entry should be there... I am using XP PRO and it is there on mine...

The following can be copied and saved as a .reg file (ie/ Keyboard.reg) then double clicked and added to the registry...

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard]
"InitialKeyboardIndicators"="2"
"KeyboardDelay"="1"
"KeyboardSpeed"="80"

hope that helps....

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search