Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a driver for a CD RW drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rschic

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
US
I'm in desperate need of a driver for a Sony CD RW model CRX 140S for Windows 2000. It worked fine under NT but now that I have upgraded to 2000, the drive acts as a regular CDRom. I can explore and launch CDs from it but both the CD Extreme and Easy CD Creator software won't recognize it as a burner. I've done some searching on the web and found a couple of sites but they want your e-mail address so they can bombard you with spam.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RSCHIC

Uninstall the burning software, remove the CD-RW from Device Manager, restart, let Windows reload its drivers, and reinstall the burning software.

Yeah, try what ski said. The drivers that Windows uses are loaded from the CD-RW drive's firmware. Firmware is built-in, and most CDROM drives won't need you to load any drivers manually.

Have you tried Sony's support site for help? ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Go to Sony's website and look for drivers on there, if it isnt obvious then mail support from there page !

I just had this problem after installing a new CD-RW; it wouldn't write anything and in fact Roxio wouldn't launch properly. My fix was to download the Roxio update for 5.3.xx (I was running 5.02). This had the new drivers for more recent devices and turned it back into a CD-RW. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Thank you all for your suggestions and help with this. I solved it this morning by changing the drive letter so it would be first in alphabetical order before my PC's CDRom. Don't know why this made a difference but it's working now. It acted as if the CD Extreme or EZ CD Creator software couldn't recognize any other CD devices beyond the standard CDRom.

Thank you Ski for your suggestion but as troubleshooting would have it, I had tried that yesterday before I submitted the post with no luck.

Just a note concerning the site: this place is a great resource for technical assistance. Everyone who contributes their knowledge and experience deserves a huge THANK YOU and that it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for taking the time,
RSCHIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back