Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a drive imaging utility for mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipor

Programmer
Feb 23, 2001
US
I need a utility that can make an exact image of a fully confired Macintosh harddrive. That includes programs on the mac and their settings and preferences. Can you guys help me?

Thanks for any help.

--Jared

Use Diskcopy this is supplied with the OS startup CD with each mac when brought.

It is in the Utilities folder, on the CD. If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

Will that copy the whole harddrive; save all the preferences from everyprogram; and run on mutiple cd's? And be able to install from those CD's when other machines come in?

Well, it looks like this is a problem that no one else had a good answer too. DiskCopy couldn't do what I wanted it do (but thanks for the idea). After much searching and more searching, I came across a utility created by the same company who makes Stuff-it. The company is Aladdin Systems ( the product is called "Shrink Wrap". The best part about it, the product is only $30. LOL. :)

Disk Copy should be able to do this. You do need more than one HDD in the first machne you do.

After that burn a bootable OS, plus the disk image from Disk copy to a CD. Did it in my last company, but put the image on the server. If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

Disk Copy will only work in this situation if:
(1) the amount of data on the drive is less than 2 Gigs.
(2) the boot O.S. is NOT OS 10.x
Using a FireWire hard drive as the boot drive is the best solution.

I have not used Shrink Wrap for this but will look into it. The real key is finding a way to make an image of a dual O.S. drive with more than 2 Gigs of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back