Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I lost my RAR files partXX.rar extensions => how can reorder them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guista

Programmer
Apr 9, 2010
FR
Hi all,

I lost the extension of my multi-part RAR archive.
My archive files were named like this:

myarchive.part01.rar
myarchive.part02.rar
myarchive.part03.rar
myarchive.part04.rar
myarchive.part05.rar

... and so on.

Unfortunately, the file names were truncated and I lost the part numbers.
Actually my file names look like this:

myarchive(1)
myarchive(2)
myarchive(3)
myarchive(4)
myarchive(5)

The number between the parenthesis does not indicate the right RAR order.

* Is there any way to retrieve the order so I can uncompress my archive and retrieve my archived files ?

* Is the part number information stored in the RAR files ?

My files are hundred of MB and I have 10 files so I can not try all the possible combination.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello Guista,

I'm not aware of an embedded information on the chain number. However, here are several ways I can think of:

* If your files have the original timestamps, name them based on their datetime...

* The first archive will have this sign next to the file compressed inside: " -->" , the subsequents ones will show " <-->" , and the last one " --->" . This will allow you to identify easily the first one and the last one. Then you could: open the first one, ask for an extract, winrar will prompt you to locate the next archive; offer the 2nd, 3rd, etc.. until it accepts it, and so on. This should minimize your amount of tries.

Good Luck !

--------------------
Pierre Martin / ITEA
Information Technology Experts Alliance
Cloud Computing for Small Businesses

That's what I did but unfortunately, WinRAR accept any part, build the whole file and only tells there is a CRC error at the end of the process (minutes and minutes later) !
I tried dumping the WinRAR files but did not find any indexing information.

If you use the strings utility (or at a push, a hex editor), you should be able to see all the pathnames of the files. Pretty much everything else will be unprintable and not displayed at all.

After a quick test (albeit with only one rar file), I think that rar(n+1) begins with the same filename that rar(n) ended with.

If you can match up the last/first filenames, then it might be an order worth trying.

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back