Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I-lookup won't leave!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenmac

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
CA
I can't get rid of I-lookups toolbar and it keeps setting my Homepage to I-lookup. I've followed the directions online to get get rid of it to no avail. I was able to get rid of it before but I guess there's a new version out and for the life of me I can't seem to get it off my system. I've edited the registry deleteing the keys for I-lookup and ineb but they return as soon as I boot IE . Help!!!!!!!!! please

Specific instructions for removal of the ILookup parasite can be found here:

Also, are you running an OS with system restore enabled? (i.e. XP, ME?) If so, turn it off before you go to work on this, otherwise, I hope you enjoy repeat tasks.

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried the link you sent carrr and did as they suggested but it didn't work. Apparently I-lookup has a new version out. So I thought maybe there might be an answer at the I-lookup site Well Low and behold there is an uninstall program there for the latest version. Here's the link for anyone interested.

I ran the Hotbar Uninstall program today on a client machine. Before I rebooted, I checked the registry, because I HATE those things and I didn't trust it.

Imagine my surprise:
hkey_local machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/runonce:

hotbarinst.exe -silent (or something like that)

Those idiots let you install, and then they secretly reinstall their garbage in your machine.

There were 322 instances of spyware/adware in that machine!!!

My favorite two programs for defense of these buggers are PestPatrol and Lavasoft's AdAware
Look for them at pestpatrol.com or the download section of majorgeeks.com

Brian

Brian G.
Securlon Consulting, LLC

I just got hit by I-lookup yesterday. Looking at the manual removal instructions and going to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files, I can't find any ineb files or I-lookup bar apps or anything. I do have 4 files that are unamed and one I don't recognize called iiittt. The install date on the iiittt says 10/31, but that may be some intentional misdirection. Any thoughts anyone?

Did you try the removal tool listed two frames above this?

You mean the removal tool posted on the I-lookup website? No I didn't try that and I'm very nervous about downloading a tool from any company who would download malicious code in the first place. I keep looking at the manual removal instructions and can't even find the files that are mentioned. One other thing, I thought spybot S&D might be able to fix this, but for some reason I can't update spybot. Interesting, huh?

And...I also came acros this:

8. How do I uninstall (remove) TopText iLookup?
In order to uninstall, please follow these steps:
1. Go to START --> Settings --> Control Panel
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs
3. Select TopText iLookup
4. Click uninstall
5. An installation wizard should appear.
6. Follow the uninstall wizard's instructions
6. Re-Start your computer

If for some reason you cannot find the entry for TopText in the Add/Remove Programs interface, please follow the following steps:
1. Go to the Program Files folder on the drive that hosts your operating system (usually the C drive).
2. Under Program Files, go to the eZula folder.
3. In the eZula folder locate a file by the name of UNWISE
4. Double-click the UNWISE file and follow the uninstall wizard instructions.
5. Re-Start your computer.

All the eZula files will be deleted once you re-start your computer.

Thanks guys...Pest patrol identifies the problem, but wants $35 to activate the fix which I may end paying, but not for a day or two.

I found one utility which allowed me to delete all the offending registry entries. I then re-installed IE...things are better, but I still have an offensive toolbar in IE. Spybot still freezes when I try to update.

I did a file find and found about 20 files called unwise in various folders...is this common?

Yep, it's generally an uninstaller.
What's the "offending toolbar?" Let's get it removed as well.
You can email me if you want not to post the toolbar...xcrackerboy@fastmail.fmx (remove the leading and trailing x's before using the address...)I'm looking into the spybot problem.

The offending toolbar is the i-lookup tool bar. Also, I read through the Spybot faq....and I'm missing something obvious, as I have no idea how to change my settings in Spybot.

You need to be running SpyBot in Advanced Mode. If you don't know what I mean by this, you're running the old, out-dated version of SpyBot (which may be part of your problem , and you need to download it).

Look for the Settings button on the left. Click it and click Settings again. Now you can follow the instructions in the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back