Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I like it Real Ultra Tight: Best Remote Access for Help Desk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

group6

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2005
US
Deploying new Windows Server 2008 network with about 60 XP clients. What is the difference between the flavors of VNC? It will be in image applied to all workstations. Do all work through browser via IP address? Does the client need to allow access or can admin just 'pop in' unannounced? Certainly better than using MS Remote Desktop, right?

What is the best way to control who can gain access to clients, through AD GPOs and SecPols?

Thank you. Thank you very much.

>Certainly better than using MS Remote Desktop, right?

How so?

I use Real VNC, it is free and all you need on the desktop running is the server.

Yes, but what are the differences between tightVNC, realVNC and ultraVNC?

You still haven't said why you think VNC is 'certainly better than using RDP'

Just an off hand comment re most third party apps do a better job than whatever it was written by M$.

With VNC your user can see what your doing when it come to support. As for RDP it is fine if you want to remote into a pc to do maintenance.

>your user can see what your doing when it come to support

You do know that you can do this over RDP as well, don't you?

And RDP is faster and more secure than VNC.

strongm,
Each to his own but I like VNC personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back