Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I knew that VPN was going to be slow but is this normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddrafts

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2002
US
We are transfering a 5mb file and it is taking over 5 min to transfer. At first we were having our VJ's access the Database from our Corp office, but it was taking to long to do a search.

Corp has DSL
Other locations have Cable or DSL

Would it be faster to disable the encription???

Thanks in advance.

Doug

ddrafts:
are you using an MS Access DB? Just wondering, b/c I am having the same problem with our VPN, all files are fast except those in the Access DB, which are extremely slow.

Thanks,

~*~wRoCk~*~

No we are using FileMaker.

Someone eles set up it up and migraded all of the data from Access.

Doug

Try playing with the Maximum Transmission Unit(MTU) and Maximum Segment Size (MSS) on both ends of the link. We had a similar problem on a DSL VPN and it transpired that the packets were getting fragmented and dropped.

Well I have gotten closer to the solution. Before my testing my logon script was running 8 min. After playing with the MTU's it got down to 5min. Just for a test I disabled Norton Antivirus. Now my logon script run's in 1min 30 sec.

I really do not want to uninstall Norton on any of the computers (23 in all) Does anyone know what else to do.

Thanks

Doug

Try disabling the "scan on demand" (it's not called that) feature of Norton, the one that scans files as programs/processes access them. I've found that to be a major contributor to slow file transfers/accesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back