Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I just installed a client agent on

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintJames

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
CA
I just installed a client agent on an Exchange server that is already using the MS-Exchange option. When modifying my backup job to use the client rather than just going through the network I cannot see the Exchange database.

I'm am using Arcseve2000 running on NT4 for both the backup server and the MS-Exchange server.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I believe that the release notes indicate that the client agent has to be added using name resolution. If you added the client agent using the autodiscover feature, it enters the machine as machinename_IP rather that machinename which seems to be the cause of not seeing the database agents. Note, there is not much benefit of selecting the Exchange agent through the NT agent.

The reason why you cannot see the cannot see the Exchange database is because you need to put enter the Security details for the agent. This is the Account you opted to use whilst installing the MS Database Agent on the Exchange Server. Get back if you are not getting nowhere.

Pooch

My reason for trying this is because I have seen the throughput drop considerably during the past few weeks and I know that the client agent does for the most part help maintain acceptable performance. If have tried unsuccessfully to connect to the Exchange server with only the name resolution without the IP.

The exchange agent does not actually use the client agent during the backup. You can only view the database agents while looking through the client agent. I do not believe you will see any kind of increase in speed of the backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back