Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I just got flash and Have 2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryman

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2005
US
I need to know if it is possible to make an effect where it looks like it is writing the letters
How do you make the movie take you to a website automatically after it is over

Ryman,
For question one. Use the cursive font put your word(s) on in the movie, then over your words put a box that is the same color as your background. Then just have the box move off of the words. This is really easy to do and should give you a pretty good effect. As for redirecting to a web page when you are done. First create a new layer and name it action layer or something. Then put in a blank keyframe. Then goto modify and frame. In the frame properties goto actions and click on the + and choose get url. Then in the box next to that put in the url that you want to goto.

Sorry about this Yandso but for your first question ryman, you want to use a mask. It is very simular to how yandso explained but you may find problems with that as you start to use more layers. To do this with a mask goes like this:

1) Create a layer with your text on, write what you want.
2) Create a new layer above the text layer and convert it to a mask. (right click the layer name and select "mask")
3) on this layer, create a box with the retangle tool the size of your text. (I find it best to select no stroke with this, just a preference)
Ok, I'll explain a little about masks. When you converted this layer to mask the one underneath should have indented (if not, goto Modifiy/Layer and select masked). This shows you that this layer is masked by the one above. Anything that is masked will only show up when the mask is covering it.
4) start with the mask you created just at the side of your text, add a key frame to your mask layer and then move the mask so it covers your first letter. Do this again and cover the second letter. Keep following step 4 till all your letters are covered then hit Ctrl and enter to test your movie.

I hope you can understand my instructions. Doing it this way you will learn something that can be very useful in Flash. If you have any problems just reply to this and I'll try to explain a liitle more.

Good luck!
roda B-)

Learning is like rowing against the current. As soon as you stop, you start going backwards.

Roda,
Don't worry about it. I never have a problem when someone has a better method or idea. In fact I think I am going to give this a try on my fla too.

Just had a thought. Turn your "mask" graphic to a symbol to keep file size down and also, if you just motion tween your mask instead of using multible key frames your text will appear more smoothly instead of the typwriter FX. This will also keep file size to a minimum.

Just tried it, looks pretty good..... roda B-)

Learning is like rowing against the current. As soon as you stop, you start going backwards.

Just a remark here...
If Ryman, as his thread title indicates, just got Flash... You guys are going pretty fast and assuming he knows a lot about Flash's workings.
I would have suggested he start with at least 5 minutes of lessons & tutorial!
mywink.gif
ldnewbie

...and I was about to post an ActionScript version of a "self writing" clip too! But I guess Oldnewbie's right - walk before you run!

Good point, I forget sometimes what is very basic and what is not - sorry Ryman but if you do get it, well done! Heres a place to start.....

Good luck roda B-)

thanks guys
it all worked
I really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back