Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I just bought the new Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 sound card, but no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbiwicked

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
i bought the Creative Labs Inspire 6.1 6600 speaker system
it has a subwoofer and 6 speakers
there are 3 plugs that plug into the sound card, front, center and rear

my computer has an integrated sound card that only supports 2 speaker, so i went and looked for a new PCI interface card

i bought the sound blaster live! 5.1 sound card it says in the specs that it supports a 6 speaker surround sound system, and not to mention creative labs makes both products

everything went together fine, i installed all the drivers and programs that came with the sound card

the installation was a success, but there was so sound coming out of the speakers. so i plugged one plug into the integrated sound card on my board, and it worked, the same as before, with only 2 speakers
so i went into the bios and turned off the integrated sound, and i plugged the speakers back into the sound blaster live 5.1

i restarted my comp, and there was sound, but only out of the sub and 1 speaker and it was quiet and very fuzzy
i thought i might have had the plugs in the wrong order on the card, so i switched them around to all the different combinations, but it didnt change anything

i dont know what the hell is wrong with this thing
:p
any help would be appreciated
(sorry for my long explanation)

ok, i was just messing around with the settings, and i got something working
i went into the volume settings, hit advanced and there was a box that i could check or uncheck that said 1 Digital Output Only....well it was checked for some reason, so i unchecked it
the sound comes out clear now
there are 4 speakers, front left, front right, rear left, and rear right that are working (and the sub) but the center speakers arent working

i think that the card i bought doesnt support those speakers, because its a 5.1 surround sound card and i have 6.1 surround sound speakers, but i am not positive

again, thank you for any tips

Silly question, but did you install the soundblaster software that came with the card?

yes i did install it
read my second post
after i unchecked that box, the sound came in, but only 1 speaker
there are 5 ports on the sound card, black orange green red and the microphone one, i had the cords plugged into their own color...well i started using differnt combinations, i got one that worked...for some reason the black goes to green, the green to orange and the orange to black...now i have 5 speakers that work and a sub

i dont think i can get the 6th one to work because the sound card doesnt support it i probably shouldve read more carefully before i bought the card... o well

the website recommended that i use the sound blaster audigy 2 card, but that was like 180$ ha!

anyway....i got it configured the best that it is going to get...i kinda wasted my time and everyone elses time who read this post
thanks anyway

Did you disable the sound on the motherboard in the BIOS? They can not both use the same settings.... If they are both trying to use the same default soundblaser setting only one can work off of the default IRQ for sound.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back