Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I just bought a refurbished HP Pav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz3D

Technical User
Sep 14, 2001
US
I just bought a refurbished HP Pavilion 9780c with AMD Athlon 900. I had to install a new Ethernet PCI card so I opened it, placed the card and closed it and then I press the power button the PC does not start. What is strange is that the power unit van makes 2-3 rounds and then stops. I am sure I have connected all the cables properly. Does anybody have any clues to what the possible problem could be?

Did it work fine before you opened it and put the new Ethernet card in? Double check all power connections, remove the card and try it without the card, and worse come to worse the power supply could be bad.

Before I opened it it worked, and now it does not. I'll try without the card but I am not sure how useful this will be. I think I have placed everything in its place, but in case I haven't, does anybody know where I can find a complete scheme of where all the power cables of this precise model go? On the HP website there isn't such a detailed thing.

You say you put everything in its place, it sounds like you put extra parts in it other than the network card. You say its refurbished and you just bought it so the next thing I would do is contact the company you bought it from and ask them what the problem could be. Im not sure what steps you can take in relation to refurbished computers but their should have been information reguarding the warranty or parts and labor etc. before you bought it.

OK, I found info on how I could test the power supply unit and it works OK, so I think the only thing left to suspect is the motherboard. I need info on how I could test it if it's not dead. (Hope it is not cause I am running out of money :(

Your power supply is probably crowbaring. Pull the network card and test.
Did you knock anything else off while you were there. Easiest way to get this problem is to put the 3" drive connector 1 pin off and short out the power. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back