Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I installed a dvd drive and a sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggray41

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
I installed a dvd drive and a soundblasterlive 5.1. When i turn the computer back on i heard a humming noise. i opened the case and observed my fan sticking. the computer booting completely up before i opened the case and screwed it up. I cleaned the fan but it did not stop the noise. SO i got the bright ideal and place an old fan on the processor and it starting spinning but the computer stopped at the dos prompt. i tried to reboot but no reboot. the fan came of a amd 500 chip.

i have a 1.2 gig duron
300+ memory
ati video card all-in-one 32mb
80 gig harddrive
xp-professional
via motherboard
300 watt powr supply
when i try to boot, the power supply is blowing,the drive light up, but i have no video, i tried a different monitor, and a different video card.(same result)
there are no beep coming from the motherboard.
I installed a dvd drive and a soundblasterlive 5.1. When i turn the computer back on i heard a humming noise. i opened the case and observed my fan sticking. the computer booting completely up before i opened the case and screwed it up. I cleaned the fan but it did not stop the noise. SO i got the bright ideal and place an old fan on the processor and it starting spinning but the computer stopped at the dos prompt. i tried to reboot but no reboot. the fan came of a amd 500 chip.

i have a 1.2 gig duron
300+ memory
ati video card all-in-one 32mb
80 gig harddrive
xp-professional
via motherboard
300 watt powr supply
when i try to boot, the power supply is blowing,the drive light up, but i have no video, i tried a different monitor, and a different video card.(same result)
there are no beep coming from the motherboard.

UPDATE:

i installed a new cpu (ax2000dmt3c) on the old motherboard
and it is reading it as 1250 i thoght it was suppose to
read it as a 2000. the motherboard is a ms-6378 from micro
do i need to change anything on the motherboard. i purchased the chip from fry's. it came with a motherboard seperate, but i installed the cpu on the old motherboard. the two cost 125.00 with a fan.
NOTE: THE CHIP WAS ADVERTISED AS A XP 2000 +

thank you
biggray41

thank you
biggray41

You have to change the jumper JFSB1 from 2-3short to 1-2short. See in your motherboard manual p2-22. You should read 1667 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back