Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have to Ping a server before I can connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

coylert

MIS
Oct 31, 2007
IE
When I login to my workstation and try to vnc to a server on our new AD domain I have to ping the IP address first, then I can connect to the server, this is the case with browsing start run

Thanks,

Fixed I setup up a reverse lookup zone and configured primary DNS correctly

Now saying that I sovled might have been a bit premature as I had to use the IP address to get to the server this morning and not the name so Im still at a loss

Thanks for the reply,

If I ping by host name it doesnt ping I have to ping IP then the host name will ping and then VNC will connect but its the same for start run \\servername

If I VNC with host name doesnt work but IP will.

Maybe a WINS problem?

Is there an entry on your wins server for the server and does your PC look at the wins server?

No WINS is not setup as its its DNS on a AD Domain

I almost missed this. You stated this was trying to connect to a machine in a new domain... Sounds like a DNS suffix problem. Meaning your workstation might be appending the wrong domain. You can either add the new domain in the DNS tab of your TCP/IP connection properties or connect using the FQDN per my other post.

Of course that is all a moot point if your DNS doesn't have a zone on it for the new domain...

(yay! shameless advertising. my side business)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back