Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have something of a problem. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

csteinhilber

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
US
I have something of a problem.

I'm accessing a legacy Oracle table from ColdFusion, and trying to relate it to a brand new table. The legacy table ("supArticles") contains articles in the following columns:
Code:
id, name, author, date, products ...

The products are one-to-many... ie - a single article can be associated with multiple products.

I'm trying to relate the products field with a new look-up table ("supProducts").

Unfortunately, the supArticles.products contains product numbers in a non-quoted set (35,467,735,1021...)

I'm trying to select from both tables with something akin to

Code:
<CFQUERY name=&quot;articleproducts&quot; datasource=&quot;DS01&quot;>
SELECT
  a.name,a.author,p.product_name
FROM
  supArticles a,supProducts p
WHERE
  p.product_num IN (a.products)
        :
</CFQUERY>

but, of course, a.products not being quoted, the query gets evaluated as
Code:
   WHERE '35' IN ('35,467,735,1021')
instead of
Code:
   WHERE '35' IN ('35','467','735','1021')
and nothing gets returned (unless a.products is a single value equal to product_num).

Is there a way to &quot;qualify&quot; the set in a.products? Something like CF's ListQualify() function... but in SQL itself. Or is there any other way I might be able to do this?
I thought about using LIKE... but LIKE '%35%' would return 735, etc as well, which would be undesired.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Carl
Hope it helps,
-Carl

Well its not so much a solution as a workaround... you could pull it from the table... and then

Code:
<CFSET QualifiedList=&quot;&quot;&quot;&quot; & Replace(dbVar,',','&quot;,&quot;','ALL') & &quot;&quot;&quot;&quot;>

And then reinsert QualifiedList over dbVar, couldn't you?

Tony Did I help?
Vote!

Hmmm... if I'm catching what you're saying, I don't think that'd work.

a.products is a database field... I don't know the value of it until the query is actually executed, so I don't think I have an opportunity to manipulate it with ColdFusion functions. The manipulation needs to happen in the SQL itself, I believe.

Or are you saying to run two queries? There's gotta be a way to do it in a single query (at least, I'm hoping).
Hope it helps,
-Carl

Mmm... the latter is what I was saying and there probably is a way in SQL.. but doing it once this way the select and then update of the table, will save much load time later...

I don't know how an all-sql method would be done...

Tony Did I help?
Vote!

Hi Carl,

try to add ',' at beginning and end of your article list (in query, not db) and use a like '%,35,%' in where clause. This way you should get the articles with one query.

Hope it helps
Falcao

how come i missed this the first time around?
musta been the descriptive topic title

carl, try

[tt]WHERE CAST(p.product_num as integer)
IN (a.products)[/tt]

alternatively,

[tt]WHERE INSTR(a.products,p.product_num) > 0[/tt]

rudy

LOL! [rednose]

Thanks Rudy! Yeah... I was too quick on the &quot;Post&quot; button... and instead of telling me &quot;hey stupid, you left the subject blank&quot;, it just truncated the first sentence of the post. Oh well.

Anyway, I posted the same question (this time with a subject!) in the SQL forum and got back the solution:

Code:
INSTR(','||'35,467,735,1021'||',', '35')<>0

which works great. Do you think the CAST method would be faster/more reliable? Or is it 6 of one...

Hope it helps,
-Carl

i'm relieved that your solution is so close to mine

i was guessing

sorry, i have no idea whether CAST would even work, never mind outperform

i don't have sql/server to test on

rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back