Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have several XP Pro workstations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kowboy

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2003
US
I have several XP Pro workstations that are running batch scripts (through group policy) to map network drives at logon. I am using the following syntax in the script:

net use G: \\servername\sharename /peristent:no

If the user turns on the machine at the beginning of the day and logs on, they do not map drives, but if they log out and back in they map without any problems. I have read other forums that have suggested turning off simple file sharing, disabling the firewall, removing the persistent switch, etc, but nothing has worked. Any gurus out there?

I do no know about gurus, but as a regular guy:

Disable the asynchronous processing of your logon script. It describe the Group Policy setting in my FAQ, last paragraph, about WinXP client connectivity issues in a Domain setting. It should sort the issue, if you have the net use /Persistent:no flag set.

The underlying technical problem is that your logon with asynchronous processing occurs not under the user credentials, but the of the local SYSTEM, and it unlikely has permissions to all the shares your are trying to map.

Solution: just tell XP to syncronously process the logon. See my note, last paragraph: faq779-4017

bcastner - THANK YOU!!!

Problem solved. We were mapping home drives with a batch script, but after we specified the home directory under the profile properties of the user all of our problems were resolved. This is explained below by part of the explanation that I cut and pasted from the "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" group policy setting from the XP System template.

"Determines whether Windows XP waits for the network during computer startup and user logon. By default, Windows XP does not wait for the network to be fully initialized at startup and logon. Existing users are logged on using cached credentials, which results in shorter logon times. Group Policy is applied in the background once the network becomes available.

If a user with a roaming profile, home directory, or user object logon script logs on to a computer, Windows XP always waits for the network to be initialized before logging the user on.

If a user has never logged on to this computer before, Windows XP always waits for the network to be initialized."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back