Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have set up a home network using 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mThomas

Instructor
May 3, 2001
US
I have set up a home network using an adsl connection, ethernet modem and a lynxsys router.Along with my computer there are two other computers. Everything seems to be ok except one thing. I have a printer connected to my computer. I would like to get the other two computers to use the same printer. I have done the add computer and chose the network computer option. The icon shows up on the other two computers but, the printer does not print. It works fine on my computer but, even though, I have installed the printer as a network computer on the other two computers, I can't get it to print anything on the other two computers. Whatever I attempt to print gets spooled, but the printer just doesn't print.

So I have a home network using a lynxsys router. All three computers are able to surf the net and file sharing is working just fine except the printer. Any clues as to how to get the printer to be recognized by the other two computers? All three computers have the file share and the printer share options enabled.

mike

First, this problem is really not related to the Linksys router. The solution will depend on information that you have not provided. First, what operating systems are you using? Does the printer test page print correctly from the remote computers after you install the printer? What is the share name of the printer? - Keep the printer share name at 8 characters or less for compatability with different operating systems.

mthomas,

You'll need to indicate the make/model of the printer as well as the OS's running on the computers. Not all printers can be shared effectively on a network.

The Old Man

I thought it wasn't a lynxsys issue, but didn't know shere else to post.

I'm using three computers. One is using Windows ME and the other two are using Windows 98. The printer is attached to the ME computer. The printer is a Lexmark X83.

The printer does not do a test page on the two 98 machines. It tries, but just hangs. It works fine on the machine it is attached to (the ME).

mike

According to the Lexmark support site, this printer can not be used with a Windows peer to peer network. Go to the lexmark support site & search their knowlegebase for "network".

*g* I guess I should have checked that out first. Do you have any suggestions as to a good ( cheap around $100 or less ) printer that will work with my home network?

I need a printer that will do basic printing. We are home schooling two of our children ( the two other computers ) and I would like them to be able to print out assignemtns and their daily schedule. So the printer does not really have to be a top of the line printer.

I really appreciate the help I'm getting in this forum.

thanks...mike

At home I use a Lexmark Z23 ($50 -$60) and and Epson C60 ($80 - $100). The epson's a little faster, a little better print quality & the ink's a little cheaper. Many of the inexpensive HP's will also work fine & produce decent quality prints.

I purchased an Epson C62 and it works great. All three computers are able to print using it.

Thanks...mike

I got the same problem but different situation. see my internet works fine on both of my computers but it wont file share. im using the router and i enabled file sharing on both computers and when i try to access one computer it says I dont have permission im running to different OS i got one running off of XP and another off of windows 98. the internet works fine but it wont allow me to file share. is there any steps you could give me or anything i am messing up that i could do to file share.?

I got the same thing until I named each computer by going to the identification tab in the network setting from the control panel.

I tried lots of different things to get my network going. Once I named the computers, I was able to file share, and it is a beautiful thing.

We use our home network for home schooling. We are having a blast. We are still very new to home networking, but we are learning. I'm sure the regulars in this forum will be able to help you. If not, you can call the linksys help line. They are also very helpful.

mike

I did name them the ame i named both of them workgroup, and one computer has windows XP and the other has Window 98 both of them are named WORKGROUP and im not able to file share. I got file sharing enabled im able to get on the internet but im not able to file share, please help.

SirBishopX,

You need to create a user account on the XP machine that exactly matches the account used on the Win98 machine. For example, if you log into the Win98 machine with an account of UserA, then set up an account on the XP machine called UserA. You do not need to log into the user account on the XP machine. It just has to exist.

Also make sure that
- The workgroup names are exactly the same on both machines
- Each machine has a unique name
- Sharing is enabled on both machines
- Something is shared on both machines.

Post back if you are still having difficulties.
The Old Man

Try using NET BEIU (Spell). Then install File and Printer sharing on the network adapter for the NIC card. You may need file and printer sharing on the other 2 computers as well. TCP/IP may not do this well. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back