Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have renamed my Inbox and I want to undo it

Status
Not open for further replies.

max7600

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2001
GB
While I was investigating some old mailboxes on my system I have managed to rename my own inbox folder to something else. Try as I might to change it back Outlook 2000 won't let me. Can anyone tell me if they know a way to undo this.

Im gonna keep an eye on this one as I have done the same!!
Just my inbox, and again it's in Outlook2000.! Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

The only way that I am aware of that you can rename your inbox is to get a copy of the Exchange Client (exchng32.exe), log into it and rename your inbox from there. The Exchange client was packaged with Exchange 4.0 and 5.0. If you don't have a copy, here's a couple of knowledge base articles on obtaining the Exchange client. I'm not sure about the second article, but it contains a copy of exchng32.exe so maybe downloading it and double clicking it will launch the client.

or I don't think that the links will work from tek-tips by clicking on them. You'll probably have to copy and paste.

I did not think you could rename the inbox folder? Regardless, if you don't have a folder called Inbox currently you could run the /resetfolders switch when opening Outlook from the RUN line and that should at least recreate the Inbox folder.

Then you should at least be able to move the mail back to the recreated Inbox folder. I hope this works for you all. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

joegz that reset switch sounds good, but I dont want to risk loosing all my other folders that I have inside my inbox? What exactly will it do? Will it delete other folders that were created also (even if they are not subfolders of the inbox???)

Funnily enough my Inbox was renamed to an appointment in the Calander that is a public one. It was renamed to the text of that appointment (Dave - Castltknock Community College) so that is now the name of my inbox! This also, strangly enough has also occured on another users inbox, with the exact same name....?!? Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

There is an article about the inbox being renamed to the title of an appointment in the Microsoft Knowledge base:
Per the article, the fix to avoid it in the future is to install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a. To rename the inbox, run the Exchange client (exchng32.exe) and rename the mailbox.

What the switch does is to make sure that the folders that are setup from the initial install are present but it will not delete and recreate all the folders.

For instance if you have used exchng32.exe to delete your calendar (let's say because of corruption in the calendar) then when you open Outlook with the switch it will rebuild the Calendar folder. However it will not touch the other folders such as Inbox or Tasks or the data within the folders because the folders are part of what is initially setup.

That is why I mentioned if you have no folder currently called INBOX running the switch should recreate the folder.

At least this is the way it is supposed to work and how I have used it many times before. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Joegz

How does this effect rules using the inbox?

Should the re-named inbox be removed with exchng32.exe
after or before creating a new inbox with Outlook.exe /ResetFolders?

Or does it make no difference?

I have been testing this out and I don't think that switch is going to work for you after all.

The problem is that the renamed box still keeps the Inbox properties so the switch doesn't really do anything. You can't delete the re-named box either because of this. The only way I have been able to rename the Inbox back is by using the Exchng32.exe program (which was suggested earlier).

Hope I didn't waste too much of your time.

joegz

I have done the same thing. I have loaded exchng32.exe and I am able to see the users mailbox. However, I can not get to the lower levels (i.e. inbox) to rename it. Does any one have any suggestions? Please help this is big guy in the company and he is screaming for it to be fixed.

Login to the user's mailbox with the user's id and password and use exchng32.exe to rename his mailbox. Don't try to rename it using your mailbox in exchng32.exe because it sounds like you may not have access rights to his mailbox.

Once you are logged in as the user and have created his profile and logged in via exchng32.exe, right click on the renamed inbox and name it back to inbox.

Hi,

I am not able to get exchng32.exe,
can anybody tell me from where to download.

Regards
Shabbar

I have a similar issue in that 2 of my users have managed to move their Inbox beneath another directory one being the Deleted Items folder. I am unable to move the Inbox back to it's original location. I have attempted to use the resetfolders switch as well as connecting with the old Exchange client. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Have you tried just re-installing outlook and choose the repair option. Also, I would love to find out more about the exchng32.exe. Thanks and good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

EXCELLENT! Didn't even think to look there. joegz

I had a similar problem which was resolved in the following way(Presuming you have access to the server)

1. Exmerge all your data out to a PST file using Exmerge(Obviously)

2. Delete Mailbox from Server

3. Recreate Mailbox on server

4. Recreate Outlook profile and Login to find all folders recreated

5. Log out of Outlook and use the PST file created by exmerge to copy the data back to the Outlook folders.

However, If you do not have access to the server then the Exchange Client really is the only way I have found so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back