Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i have problems with backup exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemcdag

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
TR

Hi! Everybody.

I have a problem with backing up exchange2000 server .when i want to backup it with windows nt backup it gives an error and doesn't finish backup completly.

Does anyone can help me. PLease if i can't solve this problem i think exchange will go down .

The backup error is ;

W A R N I N G :portio n s of " \Mailbox Store(EXCHANGE)" cannot be read. The backed up data is corrupt or incomplete This file will not restore correctly.

Here is my problem...
Thanks a lot..

I have a similar problem.
Configuration of the exchange server is

C: has all the system files on, and the 80Gb D: has exchange on it, and also our Source Safe database.

When backing up the system, I select C: and D: and the system state to backup - and it all backs up aside from the exchange database - which it says that it cannot copy as the file is open.

I am using the default (free) backup that ships with Win2K server. And yes, the administrator account (from which I do that backup) has all the right priviledges.

To do the backup - I actually shut down all the exchange services, which is less than ideal.

Any help is much appreciated.
M.

Hollingside Technologies, Making Technology work for you.

To back up the exchange databases, go to system manager / admin groups / servers / servername / first storage group / right click on mailbox store and public folder store, select dismount. You should be able to back them up then, bear in mind that this is an offline backup, so outgoing will queue on your server, incoming will presumably queue on the senders

Remount the stores when the backup is complete

Hope this is what you were after

Paul

you don't need to dismount the database to back them up. You can do an online backup from Win2k backup.

Start your Win2k backup utility, click on the backup tab, select the check box next to your c: partition, select the check box next to system state, scroll down to the bottom and click on the plus sign next to the the Microsoft Exchange Server to open it up, select the checkbox next to the name of the exchange server you wanted to backup and hit run.

When I do the operation as listed above - I am told that I do not have privilideges to do this - despite the logged in user having every imagnble privalige
M.

More details about the problems - if I select the server, as detailed above - then if I am backing up to file, then all is well - however, if I backup to a tape, then I am told that the backup s/w cannot connect to the server.

Any ideas?

I hadn't - as the tapes hold 120Gb each - but I just have tried a blank tape, and no difference.

M.

hi guys;

actually what I see in NT backup list is like:

desktop
C:
d:
e:
systemstate
M:exchange
Microsoft Exchange
Microsoft Exchange server
Network places

when I want to backup M drive, I got this error report:
you dont have sufficient privileges to the portion of ...
and I can only backup admin mailbox due to I am logged in with admin!

I have another problem, I deleted old employees accounts from Active dir along with their mailboxes(chose to delete mailbox) but actually these mbs haven't deleted and I cant delete them manually! what should I do?
thanks so much

check this out, it couldn't help me on backup, see what you understand:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back