Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have Office XP Developer. Anyone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInKS

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have Office XP Developer. Anyone know how to install the Access 2002 runtime without using the Packaging Wizard?

I've been trying to use the packageing wizard and it works, but seems to include a bunch of stuff I don't really need. I would prefer to just install the runtime and them install my database files myself.

-or-

Some good information on using the packaging wizard might also be in order.

Thanks!

oops, forgot the Subject:
Help with Access 2002 Runtime

Wish we could edit our posts here.

JimInKS,

Good questions. I'm having a hard time with XP Developer as well. Think I added a lot of questions to this forum about it. Just finished a 3-hour (26,000 baud) web search for a (just 1) decent Developer forum. I could not find one.

I have XP Developer and just installed it on a new PC. I did not install Visual SourceSafe (what a name!) and now I cannot get into the code without error messages saying I need it. The documentation is really poor!

As to your question, I don't know. I was at one site that had a way of paring down the runtime in half. I don't remember where that was. You might check out SageKey, they have been touted a lot for CD creation and distribution in Access.

Regards, Sorrells

I have Office XP Developer installed and only need to use the Access Runtime package. This is what I did and it works fine. Once Office with FrontPage is installed, install the Windows Components update of the OXP Dev disk set. From the Office XP Dev main disk, I installed all the items under Office Developer Tools which includes the Packaging Wizard. I didn't install Virtual SourceSafe nor WorkFlow Developer Tools.

One point to note if you don't already know it, if your db includes a backend and a frontend, you only include the frontend in your package so untick any references to the backend in the Packaging Wizard, otherwise the BE is built into the package so can't be shared across a network.

Hope that helps.

MoiraT,

Thanks for the information. I presume that you did not receive repeated demands from the software to install SourceSafe? On my copy, Microsoft would not let me into the VB editor without it so I went back and installed it.

I certainly did not realize that about the back end and will include it in my notes.

Regards, Sorrells

I do get a warning message every time I go into VBA that I do not have SourceSafe installed but it lets me edit anyway so I just ignore the messages (probably not good practice but it works)

Hi all,

you can install the Access 2002 runtime without package and deployment wizard for sure. Just two files are needed:

ACCESSRT.MSI
OFFICE1.CAB

Doubleclick the first one and the installation starts.

A far better (and free) alternative to the Package and Deployment wizard is Innosetup. I may take a while to learn (you have to write a script), but it gives you a very professional installation routine. I love it!

Keimpe

Hi,

does anyone know how to get the Access 2000 / 2002
runtime versions w/o purchasing all of the
other un-necessary software?

Thanks,
CWarner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back