Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have intermittent stop errors when booting: Inaccessible boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritchdog

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
US
Sometimes, usually when system is hot or warm, I get the blue screen of death when booting from my w2k server HD. This happened before on this HD and on others as well. It has been working fine for a while, and now it doesn't want to boot. I get to the GUI starting up screen w/the bar on the bottom and BAM! Blue Screen! Stop error: bla bla bla Inaccessible_boot_drive. The harddrive is set to master, and the controller is fine because my other HDs w/ other OSes startup. It is just W2k both pro and server that I ever seen this error upon boot. I have AMD XP 1600+ w/MSI board w/via kt266A chipset and an AMI bios. My system was built well after 2000, so I have a hard time to believe I need to install drivers for the controllers. But maybe I do. I can only guess it is a hardware conflict. Any other suggestions please

it might not be the hard drive. it could be cpu overheating. check the cpu fan is spining fast enought and not obstructed.

I'd check if the latest VIA 4in1 drivers are loaded. If not, load them..
Good Luck
PEACE Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Did you ever find a solution to this? I just built a new system using an Athlon XP 1600 and moved my hard drives to the new system. Every time I boot I get the STOP: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE just like you did. If I move the drive back to the old system, the problem goes away.

I have had no problems since I installed the via 4 in 1 drivers as suggested by IMRevbudgreen. Thank you IMRevbudgreen.

However, to address your question WoodLark, you said you are swapping your harddrive from another system? Are the two systems identical. If not, did you reinstall the OS on the new system? When you install an operating system it configures it based on your hardware (drivers, buses, etc.) You can't boot an OS on a different system than it was installed on.

Also, check to make sure your jumpers are set correctly (to master) and that it is properly hooked up (red stripe to pin 1) And also, check to make sure your system is detecting your harddrive on startup. If not, go into your BIOS and select auto-detect (if available). Even if it is already set to autodetect, do it again. It worked for me once when my system didn't detect my harddrive. I went into BIOS and reselected auto-detect and vola.

fritchdog
A+ and MCP
currently working on MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back