Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have been given a task and have no idea where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krash878

Programmer
May 8, 2001
US
Hello, I am new to the exchange area. My boss gave me the following 3 things to do. Can someone tell me where to begin to find out about these?

Thanks
Krash

Kenny,

I would like you to do some research on the following:

1. Find out how to turn of the Delivery Receipt Function on Exchange Server.
(I already know how to do Internet Based Receipts.)

2. Find a way to do A Blind Cc: (Bcc: in an Outlook Rule.)

3. Find a way to Forward a copy of all Incoming Mail for someone to another Mailbox without the First Person knowing.

1) internally, you can't. It's a client based function.

2) create a rule that replies to a message using a specific template. Then, either edit your mail.oft file or create your own to include the BCC field.

3) In Exchange Admin, open the users mailbox object, go to Delivery Options, and add an alternate recipient.

Well, not sure about question 1. :(

Question 2: If all your clients use Outlook: Click on new message, then click on View, and put a check next to "BCC Field"

Question 3:
a) Open Exchange Administrator
b) Open your recipients folder
c) Double click on the user that you want his/her messages to be forwarded without their knowing
d) Click on Delivery Options
e) Select an 'Alternative Recipient" and select their name. :)

Best of luck!

Watch number three, depending which country you're from this could be illegal! And it may be YOU and not the company liable for this breach.

Number 3.

If you select alternative recipient, this works ok but!..

If an internal member puts on read and delivery receipts, than they will get a receipt that you got/read the mail as well, so make sure that you turn off the function that marks messages as read when viewed in the preview pain. Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

About number 3:

Question, is email coming in to a company considered private property, or business property? I had several lines added to the employee handbook stating that all documents created on or recieved on the computers, as well as any email sent or recieved from work Pc's is to be considered company property and succeptable to searches at any time. What is your opinion on the morality / legality of this??

IMHO, if people are going to use my computers (hehe, as sysadmin, I dont OWN the computers, but they are still MINE!! <:) ) then they should be using them for work purposes only.

Please let me know what you all think!

I agree with you.. they are your computers!! :D

Anywhoo, I think what you have done is morally fine and should be legally fine (depending where you are) BUT I am sure there are smart ass solicitors out there waiting to make a lot of money out of this.

We have a very similar IT policy but I've not heard of any test cases yet has anyone else?

Under the ECPA an employer cannot monitor employee telephone calls or electronic mail when employees have a *reasonable* expectation of privacy.

However, the Act does allow employer eavesdropping if employees are notified in advance (computer usage policy) or if the employer has reason to believe the company's interests are in jeopardy (leaking trade secrets or potential liability from employee use of company owned phone or email systems).

Most courts consider the issue decided in favor of employers, IF the company has a policy in place restricting computer use to official business and the resulting actions taken are *reasonable*.

Doesn't mean you won't get sued; only means you currently have precedence on your side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back