Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have an NT workstation that was set up with a serial mouse and is no

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramhead

MIS
Dec 21, 1999
US
I have an NT workstation that was set up with a serial mouse and is now using a PS/2 mouse.  When starting NT, I get the message "one or more services failed to start... see event viewer for details".  In looking at the properties for the mouse, it does say it's using a PS/2 port mouse.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

Is it an AT Motherboard? If so, there may be a BIOS setting to enable/disable the PS2 port. Check that first.

It's not an AT motherboard.  It recognizes the PS/2 mouse just fine; I need a way to remove the configuration (or driver) for the serial mouse so it doesn't want to load it when NT starts up.  Thanks.

Perhaps the system expects a second mouse on the serial device.<br>You can disable it from the system-setup-setup-devices Menu <p>hnd<br><a href=mailto:hasso55@yahoo.com>hasso55@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I can't find this menu within NT.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Perhaps it is a problem of language:<br>I have a german Version of NT.<br><br>Press the Start Button and use the Setup (or something like that) Then use System Setup.<br><br>In this Menu there must be a topic like devices.<br><br>If the Serial Mouse (sermouse) is activated then disable it.<br><br><b>But make sure that a PS2 Mouse is connected or the system will hang during startup.</b><br>You must be Administrator to do this. <p>hnd<br><a href=mailto:hasso55@yahoo.com>hasso55@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back