Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have an intermittent high-pitche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searching

Instructor
Oct 5, 2000
US
I have an intermittent high-pitched whine that comes from my monitor. When I raise or lower the monitor, it stops for a few seconds, but when I giggle cables, no change. There is no EMI in close range. The sound stopped for a few weeks, but now its back. Sometimes when the monitor warms up the sound stops. Any ideas

Any soung getting emitted from a monitor can't be good.
Get it checked in case it is serious.

Eradic8or

sounds like the defragmental flux capacitor has bit the dust. If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Sounds like the flyback transformer has developed a loose core, or one of the other coils has a loose ferrite core. What you hear is a mechanical representation of the high frequency oscillations in either the switching power supply or the flyback circuits. Whenn the monitor warms up, the parts expand and fit tighter. Are you 'pushing' the monitor to the limits of its scan rate? I would get it checked incase something is dying, cheaper now than after the smoke flies.

It can also be cuased by the Horizontal oscilator falling into hearing range. If, when the sound is on again, you can make it louder by bringing up an all white screen it's most likely a loose solder joint in the vert, or Horiz module.
Alacrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back