Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have an interesting dilemma. Prop

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketJTech

Technical User
Oct 17, 2011
US
I have an interesting dilemma. Proposing a new IP office system to a customer. The challenge is that there is an outbuilding (about 120' away from main building). In this outbuilding they want a phone and a couple paging horns (in addition to the multiple horns and phones in the main building). There is a wireless bridge attaching the outbuilding to the main building's data network.

I am looking at this interesting product by SNOM, a PA-1. It looks like it will work easily, but my concern is as follows. When paging from the IP Office, the feature "Dial Paging" is used. It appears, with the SNOM-PA-1, that it uses a simple call to the SIP extension associated with the device in order to make a page. My question is,"would I be able to simultaneously page the traditional horns in the main building with the horns attached to the PA-1 in the outbuilding?" Does anybody have similar experience with this product? Or, can another product be recommended for this purpose?

Thanks to technology, we can instantly communicate across the world, but it still doesn't help us know what to say.

Do you have any copper in place between the buildings?

No. no copper

Thanks to technology, we can instantly communicate across the world, but it still doesn't help us know what to say.

I had a similar situation with a customer a while back, and we were not able to get it to work because the phones required that you actually do a page call, but the SIP endpoint controlling the paging did not do pages, as that is a "hands free" feature which this device was not; it was just an endpoint. The two could just not play together.

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

What about a ATA that converts the IP to an analog device, then put that signal into an amplifier?

I had similar setup in one of our maintenance shop . End up sacrifying one VOIP phone and use its speaker wire connected to a self amp horn . Paging works ok , even thru the wireless bridge . We did this on a 1616 phone as well as on a Nortel 1220 SIP .

madwok, that reminds me of the old Merlin Legend where we had to do that.
On a customer site (car dealership)we hung the phone into the phone room and one of my colleagues at the time thought he just makes a quick call to his girlfriend, on speaker phone.
It took the service manager a while to get to the phone and it was the topic for weeks as it apparently was a juicy conversation.
After that a big sign was over the phone: " DO NOT USE THE SPEAKER PHONE" :)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

This all confirms my fears. Thank you all for your input.

Okkie, will the ATA work for a PAGE port?

Have you tried entering SIP_ALLOW_PAGE in the source number of the Snom device? This allows using a paging shortcode to the Algo SIP devices so you can add them to the page group. should work for any SIP device.

Kampling,

it depents on the amplifier you are using.

What I did once is to put a 600ohm resistor over A and B, and then two capacitors in line with A and B to the amplifier input.

The 600 Onh resistor is so that the ATA (or analog port) sees a 'station'

The capacitors are for 'blocking' the DC48 volt provided by the analog port (your amplifier is not gonna like the 48V DC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back