Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have an image (.gif) of a map tha

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkymonk

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
GB
I have an image (.gif) of a map that is on a near white background. I need to make the background white so it will fit seemlessly into a web page with a white background. The problem with this is that it is a .gif and so I have only one layer. I have copied the .gif and put it onto a new layer but I can't seem to find any settings that will allow me to get rid of the maps BG so the white layer underneath shows through. I don't want to cut it out using the extract function but I will have to if one of you can't help.

Please save me...... funkymonk B-)
rod@sameplanet.co.uk

You may have already received an answer to this one.
But just in case..
Open the gif in Photoshoop. Change the mode to RGB. Then proceed with the usual steps of clicking the background and doing a fill of white. Then resave as a gif.

Is that 'clicking' done with the wand...? funkymonk B-)
rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Convert to RGB. Then you can use levels or curves.
This is not a selective color change but a global.
---Gernot

I tried that and didn't have much luck. I have used the 'levels' before but I don't understand 'curves'... In the end I just used 'save for web' and specified the bg (white section) as #ffffff (white)....

Thanks for all your help! funkymonk B-)
rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Use yer magic wand and select a bit of the NEAR WHITE background...( I would try a tolerance setting on the Magic Wand of 30-40)...
once you have a selection.......GOTO SELECT SIMILAR under the SELECT menu bar.........this will select all Similar Pixals within yer tolerance setting......so you may have to fiddle with yer tolerance if you are getting more selected than you need, in that case try around 20 or 15

Now that you have a selection you have a few options...
1.FILL WITH WHITE....or
2. Turn yer selection into Select inverse and then press ADD A MASK (second button to the left on the bottom of yer layers pallet PhotoShop6.0)...I like this one because it doesn't erase the information....it just masks it so you can always change yer mind.
if you add the mask you will need to make an ALL WHITE layer UNDER yer map layer.

I would also make a copy of yer layer before you start messing around.....

Hope it makes sense...

MM

Cheers mothman. I managed to get the result I wanted with the process I posted above yours. This does sound like a good thing to know though so will take a copy of your post for a later date.

Thanks funkymonk B-)
rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back