Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have all Delphi versions, which should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topcat01

Programmer
Jul 10, 2003
GB
I am working with D6 Pro and D7 at the moment but have renewed my maintenance for the second time and finally going to download the software I paid for. What is everyone else using, XE2? Any pros/cons or are you staying with D6/7?

Thanks

I am on XE for a while now.
I am very happy with this version. D7 is not bad, but it is missing features I use really often (RTTI, Generics)
XE2 and higher is also not bad, but the only new feature, Firemonkey (cross platform) is really not ready for primetime.
XE4 is Embarcardero's third attempt with FM and it is still bug ridden.
I will make the jump to XE5 and pray they fixed most bugs...

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
Helping people is my job...

I'm switching all of my applications over to XE3 from D2006 and D2009. There are a few components that aren't available so it has taken a while to find replacements or work around their absence.

I've been keeping up with my maintenance because Embarcadero is speeding up their delivery cycle, releasing new versions and reducing the number of service packs that they are releasing. So by the time I installed XE, XE3 was being released and any issues that still existed within XE were not going to be addressed.

As so many others have had to, I find that D7 is approaching the end of it's lifecycle. I'd like to stay with the Delphi/Pascal based language as it's what I'm most familiar with. I looked over C++ but after so many years away I really dread the learning curve required. I looked over the Embarcadero offerings that seem to be aimed at corporate IT development rather than the individual programmer.
The software I write is for my own use with little if any widespread applicability. I use it to analyze Humpback whale song with various signal analysis routines, statistical routines, and Fast and Discrete Fourier transforms. My software also reads from and writes to Microsoft's Excel2000 and it's Access2000 DB, I also use the Pascal record file replacement, Typed files as my own DB. I can't afford to loose use of Excel and Access.
I've looked at the Embarcadero line of products from a standpoint of affordability and found that I might be able to swing the Starter version for $199(!) but it looks like there are tool packs that also need to be purchased. They also offer CodeWrite at $299 but that sounds really primitive. The next step appears to be the XE (XE4) starting at $499 up to a whopping $3999!
The Starter version at 32-bit (apparently there is no 64-bit package) sounds a lot like D7. I'm currently using Windows 7 with my D7 but it occasionally shows a SYS error requiring that I shut it down and re-open. Additionally Win 8 is now out and who knows how much longer they'll support 32-bit compilers, hence my move. I'm at a loss as to which way to proceed and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
As an aside, you may recall Autodesk ($3000 a copy) buying out Generic Cad ($200 a copy), introducing AutoCAD Lite by way of appeasement, and finally dumping low priced CAD packs altogether. Embarcadero seems to operate in the same way in trivializing the niche user.
I should mention, too, that I'd like to get a stand-alone package like D7 rather than relying on the whims of some Cloud provider.

Thank you, Bill Kilgore

I like most (I think) have Delphi 7, Delphi XE and Delphi XE4 installed on my computer. I also have Lazarus x86/x64 ( on the computer. I am retired and do most of my programming for my own use and recreation. Most of my work these days is split between Delphi XE and Lazarus. I have been very impressed with Lazarus the last couple of updates and it is free. I agree with Bill, Delphi seems to be designed and marketed for big corporations with large development budgets. Remember Turbo Pascal 3 for $49.00?

Mel

In the end I bought XE4, so far I like it and no major problems (yet) installing 3 party components!

Many thanks to melmitts and Topcat01 for the responses. I'll definitely get on the Lazarus site. Since you both have XE4, did you get a single-license (if there is one) or multiple user versions? Also, did you have to pony up $500 or more or did you opt for the Starter version? I saw where whosrdaddy wrote that he's found his copy of XE4 to be a little buggy.
At present I'm using, in addition to my Dell/Windows 7 box, a 6-year-old Dell/Vista box as a legacy backup. Carrying those two on a plane is not fun.
Melmitts, which of the Delphi 7, Delphi XE and Delphi XE4 you have installed do you favor and feel you can rely on the most? And I do recall Turbo 3 and used it extensively. Borland put out a lot of good stuff. There seems to be a real need out there for decent single-user compilers, not only for Pascal but C, C#, C++, and even ADA. Paying $500 for XE4 when Microsoft provides Visual C++ for free does not compute.

Thank you, Bill Kilgore

I started with Turbo Delphi 3 and did the regular upgrades to Delphi 2007 for Win32. Then I took a break for a while (C# and HTML). Then I upgraded to Delphi XE and on up to Delphi XE4. No big money, just a lot of small money. For whatever unexplainable reason, I usually reach for Delphi XE (AlphaControls & TMS addons). Also, as stated previously, I seem to go for Lazarus more and more. It is a little more work as there aren't many libraries out there and you have to essentially write your own. However these days, (forced retirement) I have lots of time to work on them so most of my programming is a recreational hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back