Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a win2000 server with 4 win2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzbmer

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
US
I have a win2000 server with 4 win2k workstations, I am unable to add them to my domain when I go into Network Identification, and click on doaman and add the server name, the error message I get is the network path was not found. However under work group these users can login and see all mapped drives??, why cant I add them to the Domain server. any help or suggestions would be great!

Could be several things. Make sure browsing is turned off on the pro machines. Sometimes they think they are the master browser. Check the event logs on all machines to see if there is anything funky. Let us know what you find.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

Thanks for the quick response Glen, but im not quite sure I know what you mean by making sure the w2k machines have browsing turned off, and not sure where to go to see if this applies?. Oh an the error logs look good nothing going on with them, thanks for your help

The browsing is found in the services. Computer Browsing in services should be disabled. There is also a spot in the registry to fix, but I'm not sure it's needed.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

I think the first thing I would check is your DNS settings. DNS is very important with Win2k. Once you have your DNS set on your domain, you will then need to set all of your clients dns to point to your domains ip. Then try to have your clients join the domain. That should do it. Let me know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back