Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a SQL Server 2000 database.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2005
US
I have a SQL Server 2000 database. I created a couple of database login ids. Everything is find when I created the user accounts and set the password. But when I try to set the Database Access for these user accounts, SQL Server takes me to the Confirm Password screen. I enter the password (the same one I used when creating the user account), but it keeps on giving me the following message: "The confirmation password is not correct". I'm really confused by this msg. I'm using the same password that I used when I created the account. Can anyone please help?

FYI: I'm the administrator on the box. Also, Service Pack 3a is installed on the box. Box is running Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks
M

Are you SysAdmin in SQL Server, though? Being Admin on the box is nothing if you don't have the proper permissions to create or manage logins.

Either your windows account has to be granted access to the db in question with the SysAdmin server role, SecurityAdmin server role, db_owner database role or db_accessadmin database role granted to it or you have to have a SQL Administrator login (with the above roles attached) which is separate from your Windows login.

Without any of those conditions met, chances are you aren't going to be able to make any changes to any SQL / Database user logins.

You'll have to check what permissions your login has from inside SQL. You won't be able to see it from AD. Also remember that these users need more than database logins, they need SQL logins. Two different things. The database permissions/logins are mapped to the SQL logins. SQL logins can be independent of Windows or mapped to a Windows login/user group.

Hope this helps!

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
Remember, "Work" is a four letter word. And you know what your mother told you about using four letter words!

Yes, I'm System Administrator in SQL Server. I'm able to create logins in SQL Server. It is when I go to the properites of existing logins and want to change something such as adding database access to particular objects that I run into this problem.

Hmm. Then there might be one of two problems. Either, for some reason, your SysAdmin permissions aren't giving you any database permissions for the database in question (just double-check you're also set up as DBO) or there is a Deny permission for editing logins somewhere higher on the chain that might be preventing you from doing this.

Are there any other DBAs or Database designers in your company that might have done something to lock you out of this unknowningly?

Another thing to check is to verify your service packs are up to date. I haven't heard of this particular problem being in existence before Service Pack application, but it doesn't hurt to verify it.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
Remember, "Work" is a four letter word. And you know what your mother told you about using four letter words!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back