Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a server that has locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solstorm

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
US
I have a server that has locked up twice in the past week and the only thing that works is the mouse when sitting at the console but if you click anything it doesn't respond. I can ping the server just fine but have to reboot it when this happens. Since the mouse moves would that indicate bad memory, bad hardware, or something else....? I'm just trying to get an idea where to start. It has the latest service packs running Windows 2k.

I would have to ask, when it froze up the other two times, did you notice anything in the event log upon reboot? Also, is there any apps or services that are running, or starting, or a batch that runs when this happens?

Gizmo [pipe]

The week before we were getting blue screens so turned off real-time virus protection on that machine.

Situation:
You installed a Symantec antivirus program, or another application that installs a kernel driver, under Windows NT/2000/XP. After the installation, the computer unexpectedly restarts or encounters a blue screen with a STOP message similar to:

STOP 0x0000007f (0x00000008, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

A common configuration for this situation is a Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Services in Remote Administration Mode with a combination of any of the following applications: Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.0, St. Bernard Open File Manager, Quota Manager, Legato RepliStor, or other "filter drivers" that register with the Kernel Stack.

Nothing was in the event log that happened both times and that hasn't happened before the freezing. The first time it froze I tried last know good config and I'm going to run check disks on Monday and Tuesday. Any other ideas?

Yikes - not sounding good. If this was mine, I can say what I would do, and maybe this will help....

1) If I had memory around, I would take out the current memory, and replace with the other. Then let it run, and see if the same thing happens. Almost all cases of hardware causing the Unexpected kernel trap is caused by bad memory in my experience.

2) For the applications possibly installed, I would remove all, refresh the SP, and then begin reinstalling one at a time, one or two days at a time, until the problem application is found. I had one server at my office that continually froze for two weeks intermittently whilst I researched. Pulled off the 4 applications on it, and began by putting our antivirus (Panda Antivirus for the Enterprise). Found that I needed to download the newest patch to stop freezing on an SP4 machine.

Good luck!

Gizmo [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back