Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a recordsource that does not 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudye

Programmer
Sep 4, 2001
US
I have a recordsource that does not need to be linked to a form (ie. actuarial table). But I do need the recordsource for processing. I know that I have to define it in the procedure like I did in Access VB. But how do I link the recordsource/table to my project (ie. define location and attributes)?

Thank you in advance
Trudye

PS. Have a GREAT Xmas everyone!!

Trudye,

I need more information: Are you using classes, ADO, DAO, ODBC?

Give me an example of your code. I can send you examples of using ADO/ODBC data sources, if I know what you're trying to acheive.

Regards,

Charny
(chris.harnetty@btinternet.com)

I am very new to VB. However I have been doing VBA for several years. I was mistaken about VB's purpose. VB is not a database software and should not be used for that.

So please allow me to apologize for my question and for wasting your time. I believe I am on the right track now.

Again I apologize and thank you for your patience
Trudye

True, Trudye, VB is not a "database" language. It is a powerful programming language that creates compiled and distributable front-end applications for all sorts of storage media. I've written VB6 applications using ADO to access massive enterprise-wide Oracle databases, smaller MSAccess databases on local area networks, move MSExcel data to and from these databases, and create intranet webpages on the fly.

The fact that you know VBA gives you a "leg up" in learning VBNET or VB6, both of which will be around for a long time
in the business world.

And, never apologize for asking questions, even for asking what you think are "dumb" questions. It's how we humans learn, and it's the way to link-up with programmers and analysts that are on the firing line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back