Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a question about a couple of FAQs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT500FOMOCO

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
I've submited 2 FAQs so far, and sometime between now & yestarday someone has marked them both with a rating of 1 (1 being the worst FAQ rating, 10 being the best). :-( If the person or persons who did this would tell me the reason why they did it by posting to this topic or e-mailing me at GT500FOMOCO@netscape.net then mabey I could fix the problem. :cool: "and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." --Pink Floyd: Eclipse

"I'm going to spend eternity
reinstalling Windows." --Reinstalling Windows: by some British guy

I have a question. Is there someone on this forum who hates, or at least dislikes, me?

I know that on the GameSpy.com forum there are a few people that hate me. :) "and everything under the sun is in tune

just a passerby commenting here, but the faqs you wrote weren't terribly revealing, which is probably why they were rated so poorly. while they aren't worthless, they simply deal with topics that aren't very...deep(?).
someone may hate you as well, i can't really say, i just thought i'd let you know that my opinion of the helpfulness of your faqs is that they are not increadibly useful.
typecasting, in particular, is a beginning programming question, and not a very hard one (from my experience of answering questions).
the other one's got a little more meat to it, though. "If you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending a night in a closed tent with a mosquito."

I've seen, I think, 2 questions on this forum so far about converting type double to type int, and I figured that it would be easyer to just write a FAQ on it to answer the question. X-)

I only wrote the other one because the author of the other FAQ on running applets in browsers didn't get the part about Netscape right. I also wanted to explain more about why you have problems with running applets in browsers. ;-) "and everything under the sun is in tune

to be honest, how many people who use this site make a conscious effort to view the FAQ?

I think their usefulness is actually pretty limited.

You know what pipk? You are right. No one ever uses the FAQs. :cool: "and everything under the sun is in tune

... I do once in a while. In fact, that is where I searched first before posting my last question. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer (but learning Java)

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my program!"

Amazing. When I have a problem I post a topic first. So do most other poeple. :cool: "and everything under the sun is in tune

GT500FOMOCO

Could you please remove some of your colors from your footer? I realize that this might fit your tastes, but as I browse through the threads it gets kind of...um... distasteful. If anything, remove the bold from your footer. That might make it look a bit better.

You don't have to, but this is mearly a suggestion.

Thanks, Mike Wills

Ok. I took the bold out. :) How does that look? "and everything under the sun is in tune

That should help... Thanks!

BTW. I haven't taken the time to try your suggestion yet...hopefully I get time tonight to try it. Mike Wills

lol~

I have roughly browsed through the faq about loading of applets but didn't find it quite useful... I don't know if anyone here hates you but at least I don't :) anyway, I guess don't bother writing faqs... you can write 100 of the same faq and you will still see the same question appearing in the forum.

Leon

Yea, but now I can point them to the FAQs. I don't have to answer. :) "and everything under the sun is in tune

Just my 2 cents worth, but I disagree that most people don't use FAQ before posting. I always do as well as search this (and other) forum for possible answers to my problem. I also search the Internet as a whole for an answer. When all these avenues fail, I post.

So I think FAQ has a lot of value. You don't know how many people search through them and find answers to problems and never post at all. (Unless, of course, the traffic on it is being tracked.) I have to say I've done that too many times to count on this and other forums. To me the search on a forum is its most valuable feature! :)

As for not liking you, I can't imagine why you would feel that way. I've posted on several forums and received not one answer, yet other times I've received a lot of good direction. You shouldn't take things so personally.

I don't take things personal, it's just that I'm always making people mad. I try not to, but it happens anyway. ;-)

I moust be the on;y person why never looks at the FAQs. I just post on this, and Sun's forum (when I can log on). :) "and everything under the sun is in tune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back