Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a project, and nowhere to begin.... Please Assist

Status
Not open for further replies.

closetnuke

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
US
Okay Folks, Here's the deal. I have this major project and nowhere to begin. I must create a database that is searchable by date or by a partial description. It also must look like a specific form. I have already determined that I can Hyperlink to an Excel form which I already plan to use as a template. However I must make the forms in Access look exactly like the template, rather than hyperlink to it. Can anyone help me achieve this as i have described above????

Why does the form have to look exactly the same? I have yet to see an Excel form work as good as one developed in a good DB environment.

Anyway....

First of all, focus on the functionality. What is the purpose of the application? It must not be perfect, or you would not be allowed to touch it. Some basic questions:

1) what does the app need to produce/provide?
2) what MIGHT the app be asked to provide later (important)?
3) what data structure is required for the app (critical)?
4) what interface, and utilities, are needed for the maintenance of the data structure?
5) finally, how do I make the interface look like that darn spreadsheet?

Answer those questions and you will be well on your way.

Looking at your post, I hope you are not under a severe time constraint, but I suspect you might be.

You can make forms and reports "Look" any way you want. If the main purpose is the form and not the data, maybe it's best to stay with excel.

Access can use excel data if its properly formatted.

The form for entering the data can look one way and the printed output another.

Excel allows you to make forms and link them to data sources also. Not with the features in access but it can be done.

demoman had some very good points.

Thank you fellas, I hope this will help... I have a few months to get this database in working order, so I may be looking to you guys for further information. MS Access isn't exactly the highlight of my computer knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back