Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteyGunz907

Vendor
Mar 29, 2005
US
I have a big problem, My other computer is running off of windows 98 and whenever I try and turn it on it goes good all the way up utill the Blue Windows screen with the sky, it just sits there, it wont load the rest for some reason... Can anyone tell me how to fix this major problem of mine? Any answer is greatly apreciated...

have you made any changes to the pc recently? Can you boot in safemode?

To Boot into safemode...
after the computer runs through the BOIS setup, and flashes the types of disk drives and such installed, start pressing (repetadly) "F8" key.

This should bring up a list of boot modes for you to choose from.

Kevin Petursson

I have gotten to the list where you can choose safe mode from, but when I choose it, it just goes back to the sky and sits there... I think I have made some changes, I'm not sure because I haven't been on in a while...

I was thinking about reInstalling 98 or I can actually get my hands on the XP version so would it effect my files if i put the XP version on there>?

you can try reinstalling win 98, it shouldn't affect your existing files. XP could overwirte what you have if you chose to format the disk with ntfs.

whatever approach you take, if you have files on the drive that are not backed up and you don't want to lose, back them up by slaving the drive in your other (working) machine.

Then when you're happy you've backed up, you can wipe the drive and install whatever you want on there (remember XP needs more resources than 98 - and you need a separate XP licence for each machine).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back