Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a nortel 8x24 system that had all lights flashing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksby1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 7, 2009
US
Came into work this morning and the lights on the phone's in the office were all flashing. Unplugged the base unit and let it set for a few minutes and plugged it back in. After 15 minutes it was still flashing. What next? THis is a nortel m8x24ds dr5

Does not sound good.

System is over 10 years old and not supported by Nortel anymore.
Suggest to upgrade to a MICS or BCM platform....you can still keep your phones.

You could replace it with another but you may get the same problem shortly.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Doesn't sound good at all. Sounds like the software cartridge could have died. More than likely as well, you have probably lost all of your programming too, unless you had it backed up with Norstar manager. Pretty much, expect to start from scratch.

Curlycord is right, the 824's are at least 10 years old. I would suggest finding a MICS with at least release 5.1 software. What kind of equipment do you have currently?

Also, I'm curious - do you have your system on surge suppressors? Are all your phone lines on surge suppressors? Could have come in through electric or phone lines.

John Panzer

The ksu is on a surge surpressor, but the phone lines are not. Nothing seemed to be affected that was connected directly to the phone line, fax and caller id module.

Could be the software cart as previously mentioned. There's also a strong chance that the motherboard died in which case the 824 is history. If you go with a MICS you might as well use R7.1 for all the lastest features.

Brian Cox
(updated 3-13-09)
(updated 3-13-09)

It's been a day, already, but most vendors will have a spare cabinet or 2 sitting on the shelf for just that situation. Let your fingers do the walking, and I'm sure a local interconnect can get you up in running in a hurry while you consider your options.

I am in las vegas, I found a used unit on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. It would be nice if there were someone here in Vegas to call.

I know a couple of the techs that post here are in Vegas.

Probably easiest to let your fingers do the walking. They're out there.

What you can try to do is defaulting the system this will remove all programing. I have been able to restore these systems this way. Unplug the unit and remove it from the wall. Completely remove all the cards then remove the top case should be 4 or 5 screws once you have the case open remove the board and turn over on the upper left hand side there is a capacitor you can't miss it it is the longest leads sticking out of the board. Take a piece of metal and short them together to discharge. Put the system back together carefully and plug you cards back in. plug system back in. You will have a blank system (no programing) but you should see your phones come back up. This can take up to 15 mins. If this does not work replace it.

For future reference I am in Vegas and can assist with future issues, just shoot me an email.

I recently had the same issue with a customer and turned out to be the copper expansion card went bad causing a fault.

We ended up replacing the unit and it solved the problem. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back