Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a logical problem in Impromptu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaijak

Technical User
May 26, 2003
CA
Hi Cognos Experts,

I just need a logical solution for my problem.

My report basically has Groups and Filter.

I just need my report in an order already predefined. But because of the groupings I have, the sort order seems to be a one which I cant change.

Has anyone got a work around to this problem ?

Assume that there are three fields with one description, one date and an amount column. The grouping is on the description and the date and amount columns are associated. Obviously, the sort order by cognos will be based on Description column. But I want the sorting to be based on the Date column. Is there any way I can do it ?

Thanks to who ever posts a solution to this problem.

Anand.

Besides grouping, you have a tab for sorting too. Try going to the 'sort' tab, click on the fields and hit 'sort', until the order is date, followed by description.

Anand,

The groupings take precedence over the sorting in both Impromptu and SQL. If you need the report sorted by date, you will have to do a top level grouping on date before the grouping by description.

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Basically I am trying to arrive at the Opening Balance based on the prompt start date. Since I have a filter condition, I am unable to sum up the records before the Start date. Thats when I resorted to grouping. Now I removed the filter condition with the dates and made the columns grouped. Inspite of having higher level grouping for date, I am unable to get my Opening balance line as the first.

There may be a workaround where you basically create a calculated column called row sort order and give every distinct description using if...then..else a number or a date so you can determine the order in which the descriptions come out.
If you can relate this number to the dates in the date column,presto,by sorting on the calculated column,the dates are sorted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back