Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a dns, web and email server

Status
Not open for further replies.

elijah01

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
I have a dns, web and email server on the same host using win2000 adv server. Now I know this isnt a good idea but this is all I got until I build another server. My server name is ns1.blah.com. My email server is using the following for email: incoming:ns1.blah.com and my outgoing is using ns1.blah.com. This is working great right now but I want to if somehow i can change the ns1. to mail. for incoming and ns1. to smtp. and have the pop3 and smtp services on same host? How would I go by change this. Thks in advance.

Why is that a bad Idea? IIS has had its issues but so have all others, and microsoft generally has a fix for security issues before they are even a concern. Just stay current on security updates and you have your self an enterprise ready server there. What email server are you using? Generally all you need to do is create a few CNAMES and an MX record for your domain via the DNS console E.G. start-Programs-Administrative Tools-DNS. open your domain and create a cname or alias for mail.yourdom.com and then create an MX record making sure the option to create an associted reverse lookup record is checked and your set...

Elijah,
While it would be ideal if those services could be on seperate servers it is not always financially feasible and your configuration is becoming more and more common. You should be able to accomplish what you want by creating an alias entry in your forward lookup zone that would point mail.blah.com to ns1.blah.com. I would higly recommend using mail.blah.com for both pop and smtp though. Also, as Samdland pointed out there IIS is a good web server. However you need to do more than just keep your server updated. IIS came with a large amount of default weaknesses and really needs to be hardened before it is made available to the outside world. Microsoft has an excellent web page to walk you through this and it can be found here

wbg34,
I did what you said but I had to do it a little different. I am behind a NAT Router with port forwarding enable. I had to create host records for my web server with with my public ip address. So, I had to do the same with mail.blah.com. Then I created an MX record and pointed that one to mail.blah.com. I cannot create one with a private address because ppl will not be able to find me like that. So now my next question is this. On my client computers what dns do I put in the TCP/IP settings so the email will work right withing the LAN, since I had to create a mx pointing to a public ip address? Do just put the public ip address and let router port forward it? And one more question, yesterday I had my mail setup but for some odd reason I could send a test email to yahoo.com but could not receive any from yahoo.com when I ran a test. Any guess on what might have cause that? My NA at work said it is probally something in my POP3 but to me it would be something else I could be wrong.

Thank you I have this exact same problem, however, i know that all you have to do on your client pc's if you have a dhcp server, is to set them to look at your domain, then your dns server will do the rest, and as for reciveing mail, if you are behind a router, make sure that the protforwarding is working, and that your firewall isnt blocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back