Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a computer running W95 origi

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsmith4234

Technical User
Jun 13, 2001
US
I have a computer running W95 original. I want to temporarily install a second drive to extract data from that computer for another computer running W98SE I also want this drive to be the main drive in a computer under construction, OS uncertain as of this time.

The W95 disk runs at 5400 rpm as does the other existing computer. For the unit under construction, I want a 7200 rpm drive.

Will I have a problem running the 7200 drive on the 5400 drive computers just transferring data?

How large will the new drive be?
Will your hardware support that size drive (as is)?
Or will you need to flash the BIOS to get the drive recognized?
What's your motherboard model?

Gargouille,

New drive would be around 40 Megs, but I really don't care if the old BIOS would see all of it, just enough to transfer several megs of data.

Motherboard is MB something, bought from an auction. I still have the data sheet though.

Forgive me, of course you said it was to go into a new system.
You should have no problem getting it into the mix and download your data.
IF you've already acquired the new motherboard, tho, I'd track down the manual for it before going much further.
Most of the major mfr.s have manuals available online.

Gargouille,

Thanks. That sounds good. I'll let you know after I actually do it.

the rpm of the drives is not a factor. that just tells you how fast the platter spins. wich means faster seek times.
these specs have no effect other than that on the acual machine they are in. although gargouille does bring up the large disk concerns.
but let me digress somemore...
this is what i got from your orriginal post.
you have a 95 pc and a 98se pc, both in operating condition.
you want to take a new 40 gig drive and pull some data off the 95 pc to the new drive. then you want to install the 40 gig drive into the 98se pc. is that right?
if so may i make a suggestion?
install the new drive as a large drive in the 98 machine,
then put the current drive from the 95 machine as a slave in the 98 pc and pull your data to the new drive there.
this sohuld eliminate the potential problems of not recognizing the new drive as a large drive on the 95 machine. then just put the old 95 drive back in the 95 machine again.
just a thought...
good luck knoweldge is power, spread the power

I would set up your new computer/hard drive first then attach the old hard drive as a slave drive and copy the information off of it.

chaosinc,

It may come to that, but I think I will try the other way first. Thanks, anyway.

franklin97355> thought i said that, only i took a few thousand words to say it....
get longwinded sometimessorry knoweldge is power, spread the power

But you will also get involved with the filesystem type issue if you try to transfer the data using 95orig.
You may want to rethink the migration path. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ed Fair is right about the file systems.

The old Win95 system will have a FAT16 file system. You will probably not want to use FAT16 on the new system. It would be better to just build the new system. When its working, pop the old drive out of the Win95 system, connect it in place of your CD-ROM drive, and transfer the files.

What I like to do is just create a directory with a name like "OLD-C" and then copy the entire drive to it. That way you won't forget that 'one file' you really need.

I just re-read the original post more carefully.

It appears there are two existing systems.
A win95 system and a win98 system. If I understand it correctly, hsmith4234 has a new hard drive for a third system he is building, and wants to use it to transfer files between the win95 system and the win98 system.

If this is the senerio, then you should be able to do what you want. Install the new drive on the win95 system and create a FAT16 partition on it, copy the files to it, then connect to the win98 machine and copy files off. The old win95 system will not recognize the drive capacity correctly, but I think it will still work.

When you install on the new computer, just delete the FAT16 partition and create new FAT32 or NTFS of you choice.

JimInks,

Yes, that's what I plan to do. I had forgotten about the FAT sizes, but I think that won't make any difference.

hsmith4234,

The only thing to remember is that Win95 will not recognize a FAT32 partition. If you format the drive on the Win95 system then, of course, you won't have a choice in partition type.

JimInks,

Right. I'll have to create one partition on the W95 machine, then partition it again on the W98 machine after transferring the data. I've not had any problem with data transfer from one to the other by floppies.

I'm still thinking about the third computer OS. I have XP home, but I'm thinking more about W2000 professional that I have at the office.

Wassup393,

I have no personal knowledge of XP Home (my package still unopened), but, paraphrasing Will Rogers, "All I know at XP Home is what I read in the newspapers (and various other forum posts)" and I've read no glowing recommendations for it.

You might want to see if you can do file transfer using the Windows "Cable Connect" program. It may not be installed by default. This uses a special serial or parallel cable to copy data from computer to computer. I think the cable has to be male/male instead of the normal male/female.

It is easier for a win98 computer to read the win95 disk than vice versa.

Another option might be one of those kits that allows you to insert an existing hard drive in a portable drive case and then transfer the data from the portable drive.

Another option is a Zip Drive that works on both USB and Parallel cables and has drivers for 95/98/XP/NT. It might make a nice investment.

There is always a method using 2 NIC cards and netwroking if you have a version of windows 95 that can do networking. I have networked a computer with Windows 95, ver B. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

ceh4702,

Thanks, I may try the networking thing. I don't know whether my W95 original can do it though. At any rate, I have purchased a hard drive, so I will probably go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back