Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a 2000pro machine connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnsrvr

Technical User
Apr 7, 2003
US
I have a 2000pro machine connected to a small network with an NT server and a couple of 98 machines. They are connected to the internet through a router then a dsl modem. The 2000pro machine will access the web without any problem on startup, then after a while (sometimes 30 min. other times hours) the internet access is lost. The other machines do not loose their connection. It doesn't matter what browser or email software is being used - tried a number with same results. The only way to get the connection back seems to be to reboot. There must be a solution. Please, advise?????

can the windows box ping the ip addresses on the net, and also ping the local addresses of the pc's on the network

if it cant ping the local addresses, then the network setup on the 2k box may need looking into

if you can ping local but not the internet, can you ping the router?

I found that when it shuts down (no consistant time or useage determinable), I can ping the local boxes and the router but am unable to ping anything on the internet. Rebooting re-establishes the connection. What are your thoughts?

the router is an

Allied Telesyn AR220E

it's behind a

ZyXel 645M DSL modem configured as a bridge
(note - the modem was replaced since the 2000 box has been introduced into the network and the 2000 box dropped the connection with both modem/bridges)

the nt server and the 98 boxes do not (and never have) dropped their connections. i feel like it is a 2000 configuration issue, but i'm curious where you are going with the router questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back