Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have 2 win2k workstations in the

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbg34

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2000
US
I have 2 win2k workstations in the same workgroup and I want to share a printer between them. I have installed a printer and shared it. On the second machine when I go to install the printer I get a message asking for a login. The workstation prints fine until reboot. I then get a message that I do not have permission to use printer. Any ideas.

Sounds like you need to go to the permissions tab of the shared printer and give access to the second workstation (and/or user) depending on how you are setup.

D2001

You must set the parameter "Auto-restablish connections on log-in" to TRUE, so the login will be made automaticaly each time you reboot and re-login.

For that you can directly edit the regitery with regedit.exe, but it's a bit complucatide an hasardous,
the I sugest tou you is to use a registery editor like Xsetup:

(French version)
(US version)

I'm sure there is a third way, more classical and more easy, but I don't remember it just now ...

Samuel

What reg key is that?

All you need is for user to be set up on machine with printer with same credentials (user name/password) as are used to logon to second machine. Then you won't get prompt for user name password - share will just work. We've got 2 printers on our home (XP and 2k) network setup like this - no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back