Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I hate Access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
After using Acsess for some 8 years I really do hate 2000.<br>First of all my Access '97 program don't work and I can't even fix them. When I click on my form to open it I get a stupid error like tou can't open this form at this time.<br>It also say's Are you sure you want to close this form and Break the run mode. But when I click Yes the message box continues to pop backup in an endlesss loop. Only Ctrl-Alt Delete and End task stops it.<br>And in the NEW VBA program there is no more &quot;Build...&quot;<br>I used the a lot, I mean all the time to get the correct syntax for &quot;Forms!Blah Blah Blah sis boom bah.Myfield&quot;<br>It's also very clumsy cause its a separate program.<br>I can create new programs in it but it take me twice as long cause its so clumsy. <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Yikes!&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm about to bring my Access 97 program into 2000 and now I'm concerned!&nbsp;&nbsp;Have other people had similar experiences as DougP??? <p>jgarnick<br><a href=mailto:jgarnick@aol.com>jgarnick@aol.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I totally believe you.<br><br>Also, I did significant testing on the performance of 97 vs 2000. I ran 4 tests against 4 local tables with the exact same code. The results were astonishing.<br><br>Access 2000 was an average of 10 times (yes 10 times) slower than the identical test in 97. <br><br>Access 2000 (as well as the whole office 2000 suite) takes alot of overhead, and I don't know that I will be moving any applications, or creating any new ones in 2000 until someone can prove to me the benefit. Now after hearing what you have to say, I really doubt I will, unless a client insists on it.<br><br><br> <p>Jim Lunde<br><a href=mailto:compugeeks@hotmail.com>compugeeks@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= Application Development

jimmythegeek,<br>One way to keep the client at bay is telling him developement time will be a lot greater cause of the learning curve.<br>Also '2000 uses ADO which is differnt than DAO or RDO which is what Accesss' 97 uses <br>'97 uses<br>Dim db as database <br>Dim rst as recorset<br><br>'2000 uses <br>Dim db as ADO.database <br>Dim rst as ADO.recordset<br><br>So that's why the code won't work when its brought in '2000<br>But I can't even get to th ecode to cahnge it at all.<br><br>I would suggest you get a copy of '2000 and put it on one machine and judge for yourself.<br><br>If you are buying Office '2000 spend the extra $$$$ and get MS Office'2000 Developer. So you can make your Access apps .EXE's which will be cool on once the bugs go away.<br>Developer is not available everywher cause it's close to $900 retail and not everybody needs it.<br>I got Office 2000 preminum not really knowing waht developer would do until later. Now I wish I got it.<br><br>If you are upgrading ny '97 Office developer is a lot cheaper of course.<br><br><br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

You can use DAO in 2000 but you must enable it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Open up VB click on Tools then References scroll and select Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library.&nbsp;&nbsp;That being said everything I have read states it is highly doubtful that Microsoft will continue to support DAO going forward.

I'e got Office 2000 Developer's Edition and I have no clue as to what I'm doing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I just finished an app in Access 2000 and was hoping to convert it into an .EXE but once I installed Developer all I see is the MSDN Library, Visual Sourcesafe, code librarian and replication manager.&nbsp;&nbsp;Of course the manual that comes with it doesn't help.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't understand how MS charges so much for a program and I still have to spend $60 for a book.&nbsp;&nbsp;Oh well, that's life.

I second the 'emotion' on A-2000, I've reported before in this forum tales of bizzare behaviour and monumental corruption.&nbsp;&nbsp;I avoid its pestilence as if it were the plague itself.<br>--Jim

I am very familiar with ADO, as I have used it with VB/SQL Server apps, and Access/SQL Server Apps. It's not the ADO that bothers me, it's the the fact that a newer product has considerably worse performance than it's predecessor.<br><br>Jim <p>Jim Lunde<br><a href=mailto:compugeeks@hotmail.com>compugeeks@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= Application Development

Once I stopped thinking in DAO and thought only in ADO did 2000 become tolerable<br>

I upgraded to 2000 because a customer has it, and I had already been warned not to get Developer Tools.&nbsp;&nbsp;This path is a tunnel, caving in behind me, and the distant light ahead may be a train.<br><br>Think about what will happen when the Feds break up MS into 2 or more ragged pieces.<br><br>Microsoft, are you listening?&nbsp;&nbsp;Only to their lawyers, most likely.

Did you know that if you had a problem in the past you could pay around £30 (UK Pounds) for a one off support call.<br><br>I called Microsoft the other day and MS Access is now catagorised as a 'Professional Product' and the NEW costs are £185+Vat per call.<br><br>In the past I couls have 6 problems solved for that price.<br><br>Finally I have found this site (Tek-tips) and should hopefully never need to call them.<br><br>One the other hand .... If I have a URGENT problem and it needs to resolved like YESTERDAY and (Tek-tips) cannot resolve an answer quicker enough then who can I turn to and get a technical Answer - bearing in mind that I am quite HAPPY to spend (or give) £30 (the old Microsoft Price). Any ideas of any HOT MS Access Support Desks Around ???? If not then any good Helpdesk Support Hotlines with a good enough Access Support person/'service' ...<br><br>Many Thanks In Advance for any answers ...<br><br><br>Mark Dicken - Contractor<br>Email <A HREF="mailto:markd@trainingservve.com">markd@trainingservve.com</A>

I upgraded to A2K last November and spent Thanksgiving trying to understand what the hell is going on with this program.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have to say, six months later I am a convert.&nbsp;&nbsp;The VB editor looks and feels better than A97 because for one thing you can adjust code while running a form (I agree about the gripe with the lack of an expression builder).&nbsp;&nbsp;DAO is still availible, but now you have to be very conscious of reference libraries.&nbsp;&nbsp;Plus, it's better suited for back office programs like SQL Server 7.0 with it's use of stored procedures and the like.&nbsp;&nbsp;I haven't seen performace problems like the ones described above.&nbsp;&nbsp;Doug is right about Developer though. Once everything works correctly, the run-time versions of your apps get packaged with everything just like VB 6.0.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once I figured out the idiosyncracies, A2K is alright.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Well, maybe the fact that all of my clients and my agency are using it could mean something too!).

(Rbowes) Regarding the lack of an expression builder, I also found this to be a problem. But ...<br><br>If you want the EXPRESSION BUILDER then create a new query and in the criteria area do a right click and click on &quot;Build...&quot; and Hey Presto ... 1 x Expression Builder the same as the old version.<br><br>We still have an expression builder but you now have to go around the houses to get it !!!<br><br>Regards<br>Mark Dicken

I found a <b>free<b> add-in for Acc2000 that acts as a new expression builder. I can't remember exactly where I got it, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it using a search engine...<br><br>B.T.W. I think that Acc2000 is Microsofts way of saying that they want everybody to switch to SQL Server. A lot of small businesses are using MS-Access because its cheap and good enough for small DBs. Microsoft is just trying to make more money, but unfortunately their chosen path is killing off MS-Access while in fact they should be developing it to be a front-end to more reliable back-end DBs.

They never said it was gonna be easy! Am I being punished by the MS/Gods? ALAS! I have worked literally hours merely attempting to get tables properly constructed to get the other stuff to work! I'm stuck trying to convert ACC97 files to ACCy2K and until we're all converted-&nbsp;&nbsp;lack the necessary compatability.<br>It may not have all the bells and whistles, but I think I liked the ease and friendliness of FileMaker Pro (Windows and Mac versions) better, especially for the unendowed among us who weren't born fully conversant in binary!<br>Good luck!

Well I have SQL Server 7 which I like (There is no Front end) and Access '97 works with it just fine.<br>So I'll continue with it<br>I also got hooked on Active Server pages using SQL as a backend. You can develope an application that works any where in the world. And on your own server (read that Intranet) it's Lightning fast.<br>So I also heard rumors of dropping Accees for SQL but there is still no better front end thant Access. Visual Basic which I used to love until I really got to Know Access is slow to develope in too. I guess I'll stick with Access '97 until it quits. In Windows 2005!!! <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

at least they made it so there is no problem converting from access2000 back to access97<br>c hoole<br>&nbsp;

Anyone with a moment to spare...<br><br>I have an asp site which uses an access database. When we moved it to a new server I got 97 driver errors because this new server has an older driver. As a result of reading your post, the idea struck me to convert the database from 2000 to 97 and that seems to have solved the problem. But this means that since I have the Access 2000 software I will have to convert the db back to 2000 and then back again to 97 anytime I want to make changesto it or edit it or whatever. This isn't big deal but are there any issues I should be aware of?<br><br>Thanks to DougP and everyone on this thread. It has been quite informative! <p>--Will Duty<br><a href=mailto:wduty@radicalfringe.com>wduty@radicalfringe.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Access 2000 really is very good when used in conjunction with SQL server.&nbsp;&nbsp;Dont be put off by everything you've read here.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you haven't got a load of access 97 apps to pull into 2000 and you've got a big beasty NT server at your disposal you're gonna really love it.&nbsp;&nbsp;You've also got to appreciate that these boys are gonna gripe about anything thats different from 97 coz they've got to expend energy figuring out what's changed (I'd be just the same).&nbsp;&nbsp;2000 is a bit buggy though, but I guess they'll get round to fixing it afore long.

A collegue converted from A97 to A2k and lost some data of numerical type. Is this problem prevalent when you upgrade?
Is there a list of pre-conditions before you convert? Have the Microsoft people acknowledged any data losses when upgrading? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back