Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I HAD TO FORMAT MY "C" DRIVE AND I 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPENCEMIESTER

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
US
I HAD TO FORMAT MY "C" DRIVE AND I DID'NT REALIZE THAT I DID'NT HAVE THE SOFTWARE TO REINSTALL THE BUILT-IN AC97 AUDIO CONTROLLER. DOES ANYONE HAVE IT?...AND IF SO..CAN I PLEASE..GET IT? ZIP IT IN A WINZIP PROGRAM AND SEND IT TO ME AT WSPENCEMIESTER@AOL.COM...AND THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY MINI TOWER.

Just as easy to visit the motherboard manufactures website and download the latest audio drivers for that board.
It could be that your audio is integrated into the chipset,
some Via chipset motherboards are like this, is so use use latest 4 in 1 drivers (you'll also get the benefit of improved driver performance) Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

YOUR MOBO MODEL? R.T.F.M.
ftp://download.intel.com/support/processors/manuals/tsPCguide.pdf

I've got the same problem as spencemeister only worse -- I have an audio controller and a video adapter on a MOBO in a clone I bought used at CompUSA. Had to format c: and now I'm stuck in quiet and 16 colors. Downloaded a couple utilities that are supposed to ID the MOBO but all I can get out of them is the vendor: SiS; there's no specific model number, and there's no info on the audio or graphic controllers --at least not that I can relate to the drivers listed at the sis.com site. How do I get the *exact* SiS identification of these components so I know which drivers to download?!

BLUESCREEN, I RTFM; please excuse my ignorance, but will the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" provide the info I seek? All help greatly appreciated!

Try opening up your case and have a look for the SiS chip on the mobo. It should have the model number written on it. Scotsdude[bravo]
Life is nothing without beer
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!

If you can find an SiS chip and number simply do an internet search on the chip number, that usually finds a site or link for driver files.

Here is a web page that should help. I have used it several times. There used to be an area to do an FCC ID search. All electronics have an FCC ID. It is printed on the board itself {not on a sticker). Let me know if you find it. The FCC ID also works with sound, video and other Cards.

Tigerflight

Read this:

Part of the BIOS serial number identifies the vendor:

-Look at characters 6 and 7 in the serial number.
For example, if the BIOS serial number is 2A59FA3C, the characters A and 3 are important.
-NOTE: Characters may be letters or numbers. Be sure to notice if letters are UPPERCASE or lowercase!
You can contact some hardware vendors directly by matching digits 6 and 7 to the vendor codes (first column) in the table of Award Software hardware vendors, below.

T H E C O D E S :
Code Name
00 E-mail Support at Unicore (subsidiary of Award Software) with BIOS ID data, plus any board ID codes you can find
A0 ASUS
A1 Abit (Silicon Star)
A2 Atrend
A3 Bcom (ASI)
A7 Arima Twn
A8 Adcom
AB AOpen
AD Amaquest
AK Advantech
AM Achme
AT ASK Technology
AX Achitec
B0 Biostar
B2 Boser
B3 BCM
C1 Clevo
C2 Chicony
C3 Chaintech
C5 Chaplet
C9 Computrend
CF Flagpoint
D0 Dataexpert
D1 DTK
D2 Digital
D3 Digicom
D4 DFI (Diamond Flower) (Crusader?)
D7 Daewoo
DJ Darter
DL Delta Electronics
E1 ECS (Elitegroup)
E3 EFA
E4 ESPCo
E6 Elonex
EC ENPC
F0 FIC (FICA)
F1 Flytech Group International
F2 Free Tech
F3 Full Yes
F5 Fugutech
F8 Formosa Industrial Computing ??
F9 Fordlian
FD DataExpert or Atima ???
FH Amptron???
FN Amptron???
G0 Giga-byte
G1 GIT???
G3 Gemlight
G5 GVC
G9 Global Circuit Technology
GA Giantec
GE ZAAPA (?)
H0 Hsin-Tech (PcChips)
H2 HOLCO (Shuttle)
I3 IWill
I4 Inventa (Twn)
I5 Informtech
I9 ICP
IA Infinity (?)
IC Inventec (notebooks)
IE Itri
J1 Jetway (Jetboard, Acorp)
J2 Jamicon (Twn)
J3 J-Bond
J4 Jetta
J6 Joss
K0 Kapok
K1 Kamei
KF Kinpo
L1 Lucky Star
L7 Lanner Group??
L9 Lucky Tiger
M0 Matra
M2 Mycomp (TMC) and Megastar
M3 Mitac
M4 Micro-star
M8 Mustek
M9 MLE
MH Macrotek
N0 Nexcom
N5 NEC
NM NMC (New Media Communication)
NX Nexar
O0 Ocean (Octek)
P1 PC-Chips
P4 Asus
P6 Pro-Tech
P8 Azza
P9 Powertech
PA Epox (Pronix) & 2TheMax
PC Pine
PF ??? (President)
PN Procomp Informatics Ltd.
PS Palmax (notebooks)
PX Pionix
Q0 Quanta (Twn)
Q1 QDI
R0 Mtech (Rise)
R2 Rectron
S2 Soyo
S5 Shuttle (Holco)
S9 Spring Circle
SA Seanix
SC Sukjung (Auhua Electronics Co. Ltd.)
SE SMT (Sundance Multiprocessor Technology Ltd)
SH SYE (Shing Yunn Technology Co., Ltd.)
SL Winco
SM San-Li and Hope Vision, Superpower
SN Soltek
SR Sowah Research Ltd
SW S&D
T0 Twinhead
T1 Taemung or Fentech or Trang Bow
T4 Taken
T5 Tyan
T6 Trigen
TB Totem ???
TG Tekram
TJ Totem
TP Commate, Ozzo (?)
U0 U-Board (?)
U1 USI (Universal Scientific Industrial)
U2 AIR (UHC)
U4 Unicorn
U6 Unitron
V3 Vtech (PCPartner)
V5 Vision Top Technology
V6 Vobis
V7 YKM (Dayton Micro)
W0 Wintec (Edom)
W5 Winco
W7 Win Lan Enterprise
Y2 Yamashita
Z1 Zida (Tomato boards)

Scottsdude, Found the chip with number on it and plugged that into google. Lotta false leads --lotta people post drivers but just post the .drv file-- which I couldn't get windows to load: wants the *.inf file. Eventually at the SiS site, with a little guessing, found which drivers belonged with the SiS 5595 chip -- they sure don't make it real clear. Anyway, the SiS files were huge autoextracting exe files, but worked like a charm. Thanks much to everyone who responded. Will check out the utilities tigerflight... Great board!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back