Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I get no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

khashyar7

Technical User
Aug 11, 2004
CA
I just swaped my hard drives with new ones, so had to reimage the machine...everything went pretty much smoothly, until I tried to get the sound card to work !

I had initially let the mainboard install the onboard drivers for the onborad sound card by mistake...not being aware of that fact, I just went ahead and installed the drivers for my Creative Audigy 2 sound card as well! no sound coming out!
Then I figured maybe there's a conflict between the onborad sound and the sound card, so I disabled them through Control Panel/Device Manager...no luck still
So I went to Bios and tuggled the onboard sound card to Disabled in the Peripheral section...still no luck!
I thought perhaps now reinstalling the sound card would help so I removed the sound card and put it in another PCI slot, hoping it would get recognized again and would reinstall it, but no reaction from the system when I restarted...
Please help!!!

Thanks,

Kash

Completely uninstall the drivers for the card, put the disc in that contains the drivers for it, install them, restart computer and you should have sound.

Don't forget to turn off the onboard sound if you are not going to use it (in the BIOS)

The answer has always been 42

p.s. electronicsfreak:

I did uninstall every driver that looked like is relevent to the sound card, but I don't get the "new hardware detected" notification now, so can go ahead and reinstall it...

What sound devices are in Device Manager?

-David
2006 Microsoft Valued Professional (MVP)

Very interesting!

I noticed when I uninstall all the drivers and reboot, the "new hardware" gets recognized and I install the drivers through the wizard...sound starts working, but as soon as I run the setup from the CD to install the Creative Media Centre and restart, sound goes away!!! so I passed on the goodness of creative media centre (which is not much anyways) and happy to get the sound working

Kash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back