Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I get a Error When I try to create ActiveX DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

odessa79

Programmer
Sep 16, 2003
US
Original definition:
Sub Load(Optional ComponentID As Long, Optional ProductID As Long, Optional ConfigurationID As Long, Optional ComponentStatusCode As String, Optional ProductClassID As Long, Optional ProductCategoryID As Long, Optional ProductTypeID As Long)

Current definition:
Sub Load(Optional ComponentID As Long, Optional ProductID As Long, Optional ConfigurationID As Long, Optional ComponentStatusCode As String, Optional ProductClassID As Long, Optional ProductCategoryID As Long, Optional ProductTypeID As Long, Optional PurchaseOrderNumber As Double)

and I get 2 choices.

Break Compatability

Preserve Compatability

When you change or remove an existing interface it requires new interface definitions to be generated. This breaks compatibility with earlier versions and requires any projects that reference the dll to be recompiled.

What you should do is break compatibility by going to Project Properties | Compatibility tab and selecting no compatibility. Then make the dll. Then go back into project properties and set compatiblity to binary to the dll you just made. Then you'll get warned in the future if an interface change will break compatibility.

If the previous version of the dll was installed, unregister it before removing/replacing it.

Open all projects that have a reference to the dll, check the reference points to the new version then recompile each project.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

To unregister the dll type:-

unregsvr32 filepath\<dllname.dll> /U

from the DOS prompt.

To unregister the dll type:-

regsvr32 filepath\<dllname.dll> /U

from the DOS prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor