Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i get a black screen on my newly built computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeo

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
US
i just bought an ecs k7s5a motherboard with all components needed to build a new computer. i have finished building it and there is a problem. when i turn on the computer i get a blank screen even though everything seems to be running fine. im using a gforce4 mx420 agp card. help????????

are you sure its booted up? and if you are sure, just to check, just leave the video card in there and boot up, trying to isolate if any of the cards are dead. if that is still a problem just put in another card that you are sure that works.

if that does not work, rearrange the power connectors that goes to each device. i had a frends computer, a amd 1700 xp comp that had that problem. all i had to do was to get the power cables in a certain way for it to boot up. but if it wasnt in the right way, then the monitor would stay blank and the computer would juss sit there, doing nothing and not booting up.

thanks, i tried that changing around the pwr cables but i still got a blank screen. and i also tried a different grphx card but i still had the same prblem and i know both grphx cards work

oh yea and this motherboard does not have built in video for me to run off of.

You might check out faq602-2731 for some ideas. Good luck, and keep us posted! Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

ok thanks ill try the stuff in the faq and get back to u as soon as im done.

well i have not done everything in the faq yet but i have done some of it. here are some problems ive found so far:
i tried taking out the ram and turning it on and i got no beeps or anything and external speakers were connected. I also tried connecting the pwr supply to a different computer (a p3) and i got no picture on that computer but it did beep. So ill continue with other tests and see what happens.I now do think there is somthing defective im trying to find out what

is your bios even posting? if it's not, don't rule out the opotion that your CPU could either bad or you burned it up...

Do you have an extra power supply? Maybe try a friends. Often in the case you're describing, the power supply is the culprit. See Maximum PC's February article on Repairing and Troubleshooting PC's. They talk about the "classic dead machine". GREAT MAG!!!

thanks guys i figured it out it was a defective motherboard i just went and exchanged it and its working now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back