Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I get 2 POST beeps at start up, WHY?!?! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalcross

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
US
When ever I boot my computer up, I get 2 POST beeps and my computer shuts off. I was told before that this is a RAM issue. I would assume so, because I have problems in my computer form applications that would invlove RAM. Now could this be if I didnt get the type my motherboard was recommended for?

Yes, it could be.
We need info here, like the make and model of your mobo, the cpu, ram, os.
Is this a new build, that is, did you build this yourself and you just got finished?
Or did you buy the computer already built?

Have you ever had it running properly and booting to windows?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I built it my self a while a go, had the problem since. It boots all the way after I try turning it on again.

I have a Asus SK8V mother board
AMD Operton 1.4
Windows XP with SP2
RAM- Mushink 512 PC3200 (asus recomonds Apecer)

Your friend was correct, 2 short beeps is usually the error code for a memory problem.

I doubt it is the type of RAM that is giving you problems; does the computer randomly crash when it is up and running, out of curiosity?

I would personally recommend replacing the RAM to see if the issue continues, if so try swapping out the graphics card.

Hope that helped.
Russell.

First off, go to google and look for memtest86 and download that, read the instructions and run it on one memory chip at a time. Only have one ram stick in your mobo at a time and check your ram this way, with memtest.

Or, Intel has a new ram checker, i forget the name of it offhand, but you can google memtest anyway.

Let us know if you get errors on your ram.

Also, take a pencil eraser and clean the "gold" part of the ram off.

clean the "gold" part of the ram off"

All the way off? LOL

Good one micker377! That was pretty dumb.

Take a pencil eraser and gently clean the gold area of the ram where it plugs into the connector on the motherboard, as sometimes these contacts get dirty and you cant really tell by looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back